Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a 13 year old healthy cat that suddenly started having

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old healthy cat that suddenly started having difficulty breathing in late February. We took him to a vet who prescribed prednisone and antibiotics. We stopped the antibiotic after 2 days due to diarrhea (sp) but continued oral prednisone for 10 days. There was no diagnosis, just these drugs to test the waters. Things got a bit better then on April 14the cat starting breathing very heavily with excessve wheezing. On that day another vet said it is "likely that cancer" with a possibility of polyps. A scope was proposed to diagnose at a cost of a minimum of $1500 to $2500, If cancer we were told, no hope. If polyps, prednisone might help. Here we are 5 weeks later and after 5 weeks of prednisone twice daily (orally) without missing, the cat has in the last two days again developed more pronounced difficulty in breathing. During all of this time there have been no other symptoms such as blood discharge. The cat has been alert, eats, drinks, jumps-- even goes to the backyard. Other than the breathing difficulty, you basically have a normal cat here. Vet said allergies not likely. Bloodwork showed absolutely no abnormalities.
Is it now over, or is there hope?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In early March a second antibiotic was attempted, Zithromax (sp). This med was completed with no side effects. Between Mar 14 to April 14 the cat was stable, not better, not worse. Fast forward Right now, when the cat sleeps, the wheezing subsides but he uses his abdominal muscles to breath. Everyone believes his lungs are okay, the trouble is in the upper airway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He yawns, stretches, cleans himself, just can't breath well and this has gotten worse in last few days again.
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your kitty. My apologies that it has taken someone so long to get back with you.
Are you still looking for someone to talk with you about your kitty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'd be happy to chatter with you about your kitty on the phone. Do you have a particular time of day that you are most available to talk? If you want to list some times for me, I'd be happy to send the request to you during one of your free times.