Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat had kittens a week ago now she will not eat or drink

Customer Question

My cat had kittens a week ago now she will not eat or drink she wad fine until today
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Bella Sophia today.
How old is she?
Is she nursing the kittens, cleaning and taking good care of them?
What was she eating before today?
Does she spend any time outside?
Is she having any trouble breathing or walking?
Is she using the litterbox normally?
Do you see any vaginal discharge?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I was hoping to hear back from you with some more details about Bella Sophia, but I see you have been offline, so I will send you an answer now, and then, if you have any additional questions or concerns, just hit 'reply' and I will be glad to continue to help.
What we worry about when a new mom is suddenly off her food and doesn't want to drink and/or is lethargic and not feeling like herself, is a serious uterine infection called pyometra. Here is more detailed information:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/pyometra-in-cats
It's also possible that she has developed a different type of infection (bacterial, viral, fungal) in her system or, if she has areas of swelling that are tender, red and/or hot near her teats, she could have mastitis, an inflammation of the mammary glands.
http://www.cat-world.com.au/mastitis-in-cats
Another possibility, if she has not been checked by the vet since giving birth, is a retained kitten or one stuck in the birth canal that has died. This can also cause a serious infection and I hope that's not the case.
Because Bella Sophia is just one week post-partum and is exhibiting these symptoms, it is necessary to have her evaluated in person by a vet as soon as possible, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment, so she's feeling back to herself.
I hope all will be well with your kitty and her babies!
Please be so kind as to rate with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
Warmest regards,
Cher