Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have a kitty that was found abandoned. Maybe a week old.

Customer Question

We have a kitty that was found abandoned. Maybe a week old. we noticed worms coming out her so bought an over the counter de wormer. Only gave her a .1 ml last night. This morning there are tons of white worms coming out of her ear and she is crying. The ear is bleeding. I tried to pull some out with tweezers but can tell there a ton more jam packed in there. What should we do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about your kitten. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. She is only a week old? Her eyes are still closed?
It sounds like these could be maggots, fly larvae worms from flies laying eggs on her. If she is only a week old, they can make her very sick, even kill her.
There is an over the counter medication called Capstar that will kill maggots, if you can weigh and dose her accurately.
If I could, I would use a syringe filled with salt water to try to flush them out as well. It might be best to take her to a veterinarian for help
I am very worried about her. Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kethanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Paisley. How is everything going?