Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

After reading all the replies to the subject of a cat losing

Customer Question

after reading all the replies to the subject of a cat losing it's fur on his butt and his tail I'm not sure which diagnosis would be appropriate. .
my Jupiter (my Zeus and myself) have been through a lot the last two years. Moving twice in those two years. i'm guessing the stress would be the cause? but he gets a lot of attention. In fact he's rather demanding . by the way, Jupiter is a caramel Maine coon. . best way to approach? Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is Dr J and I would be happy to assist you with this. First there are many causes but for you I will list the top causes. Not necessarily in this order but here are the differential diagnoses that need to be considered:
fleas, food allergy, environmental allergy,other external parasites, endocrine disease, psychogenic alopecia. I would have your vet rule out fleas and food allergy first as these are VERY common causes of what you are seeing. Ruling out fleas is usually fairly simple with a flea combing looking for fleas and flea dirt (poop). Food allergy is harder to rule out as it requires a 12 week trial of a novel protein source with nothing else fed during that time frame. I would rule these two out first. Then approach the other possibilities. Always a good idea on first vet visit to allow vet to do a CBC, chem 17, felv, FIV, T4 testing and urinalysis if possible. I hope this helps you and I will be happy to answer any other questions you have.I will be traveling to see my Mom tomorrow but will return home late tomorrow night and answer any questions you may have left here. Most Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I was checking back to see if you needed additional help. I will be out of town and not have access to my computer but will check back with you tonight. Most Sincerely, DrJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I was checking back with you to see if you needed additional help
Sincerely, DRJ