Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Tuesday, our 11 year old indoor/outdoor cat was in a fight

Customer Question

Hi Tuesday, our 11 year old indoor/outdoor cat was in a fight with an outdoor cat. she had several injuries and would not walk on one of her legs. My daughter broke open an ibuprofen capsule and gave her some of the liquid. She was is now throwing up. My husband will not let me take the cat to the vet. What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry Abbey got hurt.
When was she given Ibuprofin?
How soon after did she throw it up?
Thanks,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was given it Wednesday afternoon and start throwing up Wednesday evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe she had 3 doses one about 10:30, one about 2 pm and again at 9 pm. She started throwing up shortly after 9 pm. she has thrown up 8 times, 6 last night and again 2 times today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The capsules where cut open and some of the liquid put on my daughters finger then rubbed on her fur under Abbeys mouth.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Ibuprofen is toxic to cats so I am hoping Abbey threw it all up.
http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/first-aid-for-cats/toxins-poisons/ibuprofen-toxicity-in-cats
I am going to give you coupons for a free vet visit if one of these are near you:Just print the coupon:
here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer
http://www.banfield.com/exclusiveoffer/
Tell the vet how much ibuprofen she had and when.
In the meantime do not allow her to go outdoors.
You can rub a drop of pancake syrup into her gums to raise her blood sugar in case she is hypoglycemic.
Please write as soon as you get home and let me know what the vet says.
I hope Abbey will be alright.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Terri, Thank you for the coupons and your advise. My husband will not let me take her to the vet, we do not have the money for a vet bill at this time. Is there anything else I can do? I cleaned out her litter box this morning and has not defecated since Tuesday, so I don't know what her stool looks like. Currently she seems a little lethargic, but she is not normally real active during the day. But she will not eat.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
You are more than welcome. I was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.
She may be nauseated. Go out and get a jar of chicken or turkey baby food with no onion or garlic, a can of tuna in water, Whole milk and pepcid a/c (famotidine.
Add one quarter of a ten mg pill to a tablespoon of baby food and feed it to her.
Wait 20 minutes and offer the rest of the jar. If she eats it wait two hours and offer her tuna water drained from the can. If she eats it, offer the tuna.
IN- between offer an ounce or two of milk.It is a natural laxative that should bring on stools within two hours.
Please let me know how she is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
I am praying for her!
Love,
Terri