Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I rescued 3 cats that were on the street and then moved them

Customer Question

I rescued 3 cats that were on the street and then moved them to a foster home. After being there only 6 days they got out of an unsecured window and are now gone. Heartbroken. The new area where they are living is very different from where they were. Up
until a week ago they were in an industrial area - no dogs, no other cats. They lived in a parking lot. The new area is residential, lots of cats (territorial), lots of dogs, and the foster home took in a dog (unbeknownst to me) for the weekend the Sunday
they took off. What are the chances now they will try to get out of that area and head for something more like an industrial area, or even try to go home albeit 15 miles away?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DR J and I will try and help you. I am really sorry to hear about this. This is heartbreaking for sure..... I would bet there is a pretty good chance that those cats will try to get back to where they were but many times when cats get away like that they will first hide out for days somewhere local to where they got out. So I would first focus my efforts on looking everywhere you can that was near to where they got out. Then try to start looking for them where they were after a few weeks if you don't find them close.
This is very distressing and I am very sorry that this happened. It is very dangerous to have cats anywhere where there are unsecured windows or doors. This is especially true when they first get moved. They are naturally scared and want to escape.
Please let me know if I can be of further help. I will check back with you tomorrow night after I get off work. Most Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in with you...to see if you needed anything else.
Most Sincerely,
DrJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I have searched the area for the past 5 days - all day and most of the night. I've been out at different times of night too. Sometimes from 11pm to 4am and other times from 3am to 8am. I still haven't seen any sign of them. I am thinking they have no reason to go back to that foster home since they associate it with a dog and place they were not happy. How good are cats honing skills? Could they driven 15 miles away to an unfamiliar area and still find their way back?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is DR J. So cats do not possess a true homing mechanism. But lost cats have been known to find their way back home from some very long distances. Scientists do not understand how this was accomplished. I would keep looking and maybe list them on the internet if you can find a lost pet's site. And yes, look also where they were taken from because 15 miles is not that far.....
let me know if you have any other questions. I will check back tomorrow night or Sunday am. My fingers are crossed for you......best of luck...DrJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hope you have located the kitties you were looking for. Can I be of further help to you?
Sincerely, DRJ