Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a cat that was the runt she falls over a lot she eats

Customer Question

I have a cat that was the runt she falls over a lot she eats and drinks well she plays with our other cats she is a rag doll she doesn't seem in any distress loves to be petted are some cats born like this
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
Without seeing her it would be difficult to say what the actual cause is, however it sounds as if she may have what is called Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia. This is a condition that develops when the mother cat is exposed to the feline distemper disease during pregnancy.
Unfortunately this condition often leads to needless euthanasia. I say needless because these cats while they will always have problems with balance can and do live full and happy lives with the right owners.
This is defiantly something you want to discuss with your vet but from what you have described it sounds like she is doing well and I am sure with your love and care she will thrive.
The following link goes over this condition in a little more detail
http://www.felinecerebellarhypoplasia.com/
I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.