Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was just wondering why my male keeps keeps on licking

Customer Question

Hi I was just wondering why my male keeps keeps on licking his bottom and growling when I pick him up
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Do you know if he can pass urine OK?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be honest I am not sure he keeps on going into the position like he was to either wee or open his bowels and then puts his hind leg up and begins licking. The leg looks fine, it does not look like its been hurt, but when you try to feel around his bottom he does cry out, I am sorry I cannot be more specific, he is eating and drinking and although I noticed this yesterday crouching in the garden when I call him he usually comes, so I went to pick him up and he just growled at me, I thought maybe he was constipated, however he appeared yesterday afternoon and evening, but then again this morning when I let him out and I called him in later he just did not come bounding it like normal. I will obviously take him to the vets first thing in the morning, but was anxious a letter and thought I may be able to get some idea from you first. Many thanks
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. This is unfortunately a potentially a serious situation so you should take him to a vet as soon as possible, even if this means using an ER vet.2. You see I am suspicious he may have a disease called FUS { Feline Urological Syndrome } at its less severe this can present as a cystitis and will respond to antibiotics or other treatment but often the urethra which is the narrow tube from the bladder to the outside will become blocked. The bladder then expands and a back pressure may occur to the kidneys resulting in kidney failure as well as bladder damage, deaths are possible if there are delays.3. Such cats are uncomfortable and in pain, will be unsuccessful trying to pass urine, and will be constantly licking their penis. If the bladder is blocked your vet will be able to pass a catheter and resolve the situation as well as perhaps offer drug treatments and other advice on how to prevent this distressing disease in the future. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you very much and I will take him to the vets immediately
That's by far the right thing to do ... Good luck, Dr Scott.Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect bladder problems.
How are things going ... ?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?