Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat feels hot but he is still active. The weather has recently

Customer Question

My cat feels hot but he is still active. The weather has recently gotten got can that be the cause his an outside cat
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He looks like he has sores around his mouth but is active and still has his still eats the same as usual
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Snowball.
Can you please tell me more about him?
What is the temperature where you live?
Are you in Florida?
Where does he feel hot to you?
Head, stomach, pads, fur?
How long has he had these sores?
Do they look red or black?
What foods does he eat?
After your reply, please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The weather is in the high 80s low 90s. I notice the sores last night. Snowball's ears, stomach and paws
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sores look brown like scabs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just changed is food about 3 days ago but he still eats it without no problems
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for our very helpful reply. It sounds like you are in Florida like me.
Cats can get very hot here if they spend time outdoors but most will find shady spots to hide in.
Snowball should not have a rectal temp over 102 as 100 - 102.5 is normal for a cat.
If he has a fever, wipe him down with cool water and apply a cold compress (not ice) to his pads and tummy.
Since these sores sound new he may have licked something caustic or have a fever. If the sores are brown they are most likely healing Check inside his mouth to see if he has sores in there.If he does he should be seen by a vet.If not you can apply plain neosporen or even vaseline. Both are safe to lick.
To keep him hydrated outside you can offer him tuna water drained from the can. Canned food is best because it contains 60% water.
www.catinfo.org
If he is still eating well and active he is not feeling bad because sick cats refuse food first thing. I would still try to keep him in during the heat of the day unless he has shady shelter.
Please let me know how Snowball is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Crystal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowball. How is everything going?

Terri