Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Nancy,I am actually attempting to figure out what might

Customer Question

Hi Nancy,
I am actually attempting to figure out what might cause a temporary paralysis in a cat. First the entire body for about a minute. Then 12 hours letter one hind leg for another minute. Any ideas? My vet ruled out heart disease. My cat is only 2 and a half.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Nancy is no longer an expert on this site.My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to help.
With the symptoms you describe the first thing would suspect is a disc or vertebra injury. A disc pressing on the neck or spine is a likely cause.
Your vet must do an MRI or myelogram to diagnose this problem.
Read more here:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/neurology/newsletters/disc_disease.cfm
If this is the case anti-inflammatory medication may help.
Please let me know what is found and how your baby is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rachel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teri,
He seems okay right now. I read the information you sent and it doesn't seem to fit exactly. The challenge is that it was a temporary paralysis for just a few minutes. My vet did an X-ray which seems like it would have revealed any disc issues. Also I did get back a negative thyroid test for him. He did test positive for giardia but no lung worms. The vet did say this was a challenging case. The good news is other than the initial incident and the incident with a stiff back leg the first day, I've seen nothing more. He seems totally himself again. He does also snore though I'm thinking that is not related.
Rachel
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rachel,
I am thrilled to hear this was only temporary and your baby is feeling much better.That is GREAT news!
X-rays actually do not reveal disc issues so a swelling of one could have caused the initial symptoms. Hopefully the problem has resolved by itself and your baby will be fine.
I agree the snoring is not related.
Please let me know how things are going.
Love,
Terri