Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat seems to be breathing more rapidly/ than norm

Customer Question

My cat seems to be breathing more rapidly/harder than normal
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
Cats are more susceptible to tea tree oiltoxicosis than dogs. Clinical signs observed include ataxia, hypothermia, dehydration, muscle tremors and coma. May be hepatotoxic to cats, meaning that it could cause liver damage. Hopefully this is just a case of respiratory irritation, but if your cat starts to struggle to breathe, I would see a vet tonight. Otherwise, I would see a vet tomorrow and have some blood work run to make sure that the liver values are normal. If your cat is able to sleep, then she is likely fine until tomorrow. If she cannot rest or get comfortable due to the breathing, see a vet tonight.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.