Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I recently gave my cat a 2nd dose of Advantage 2

Customer Question

i recently gave my cat a 2nd dose of Advantage 2 for large cats before the 4 week date because she had fleas on her again and we had an infestation in our home. Since then, in the mornings right after she eats she is vomiting whole pieces of her dry food (which i also changed that same day). Her behavior otherwise has been fine (she is playing, no signs of diarrhea or drooling, still purring etc). Im not sure what I should do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl is vomiting in the morning after she eats. I understand that you are concerned because she received a second dose of Advantage II early, but she also had a diet change.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Given that she seems to feel fine otherwise I don't believe that this is related to the second application of Advantage II.I would expect her to be very lethargic, drooling or incoordination with an overdose of flea medication.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
More likely this is related to a quick change in diet, leading to stomach upset.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You can try offering a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and rehydrate her.Once her vomiting has been resolved for a couple days then start to reintroduce her regular diet.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know if you do have further questions, or give me an update in a few days after using an acid reducer and bland diet.