Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Farm cat found with broken hind leg..took to er...casted xrays etc. Hu

Customer Question

Farm cat found with broken hind leg..took to er...casted xrays etc. Humane society had vet do surgry pinned leg...left stitches in 4 weeks..vet removed stitches and pins...3 weeks later cat cannot bare weight on that leg..was good when pinned
I am worried break reopened? Sent pictures to vet...he said cat was just sore.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

I would just give it time. These feel funny once the pins are removed, and there is often residual soreness. I would give it another two weeks, and then if he still won't put weight on it, see a vet for x-rays. If you can handle him, I would try doing physical therapy with him once or twice daily... put that leg through a full range of motion, and then hold up his other leg to force him to put weight on it. (When I had knee surgery, even after the pain was gone, the knee felt funny to me every time I used it for the next year.)

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.