Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cat is 18 years old. He has lost a lot of weight and upon

My cat is 18 years old. He has lost a lot of weight and upon a vets examination and blood tests, he was diagnosed with overactive thyroid and high blood pressure (he was very wobbly on his legs and couldn't walk far without lying down, and also seemed unaware of his surroundings).

He was put on tablets for his blood pressure and is much more himself now. He was also put on tablets for his thyroid. We returned for blood results to find his levels had increased further. His dosage was increased, and 6 weeks later further bloods taken. Yet again his levels have increased and therefore his medication has been increased again.

I don't understand how the tablets cannot even be making some form of impact on his levels. I know he is taking them the majority of the time as I give them to him and then feed him to help make sure they go. I have been told I can't crush them, but not aware of the reason behind this.

He has also started "yowling" a lot at night, but not sure if this is connected or not. He is still very much a loving cat and loves to be around us, but he just feels like a bag of bones now and inspite of a healthy appetite, he can't seem to gain weight.

What else can I do to help him, or is there anything else I should be asking the vet to do?

Thank you.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry that your cat is not responding to the meds and diet. The yowling is something we can also see in hyperthyroid cats.

I would start thinking about treating a different way. The preferred treatment for hyperthyroid cats is radioactive iodine treatment. This is where an injection is given to chemically destroy the overactive thyroid gland. This is the gold standard for treating hyperthyroidism. The other option is surgical removal of the glands. Either way, you have a cure and no longer need to give daily medication.

Those treatments are going to be more expensive, but they are better options and they are both curative.

Here is a nice link explaining the treatment options: