Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

My Cat had an accident about a year ago, the vet think he got

My Cat had an accident about a year ago, the vet think he got hit by a car. His tail was detached and had to be amputated at a later time. He had problems peeing and he still does. The vet told us that he will need to have his bladder expressed daily, we do that daily and we don't mind, but my questions is. Is there any kind of treatment or procedure that can help him get this ability to pee back?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Unfortunately, if it has been ayear and he still is not urinating on his own, chances are that he never will. There are medications to help with this nerve problem that may alleviate some of the problems with expressing his bladder all the time. There are two things that have to happen for the cat to be able to urinate. First the urethra has to relax and then the bladder has to contract for the urine to flow. There is a medication called phenoxybenzamine that relaxes the urethral muscle and another drug called bethanechol that will cause the bladder to contract. You have to find the right doses for your cat and you have to learn how to time the administration of these medications other wise the cat will leak urine all over because there will not be any control.

Customer:

can my vet give me this medication?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Yes. They may have to give you a written prescription or they may be able to order it from a veterinary pharmacy that has the medication in concentrations useful for a cat. I use either Wedgewood or Roadrunner. Ask your vet if they think that it may help the cat.

Customer:

will he develop more problems due to having his bladder expressed daily?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Sometimes cats are more prone to infections from incomplete emptying of the bladder and sometimes they stretch the bladder causing a lack of muscle tone. If the bladder is squeezed improperly, it can rupture.

Customer:

we empty his bladder twice a day daily and check it constantly, our vet showed my husband how to do it propertly, I hope we are doing it right, but I will take it to vet often to get check. Thank you for your help.