Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi Candy, The UTI has returned with my cat, or never went

Hi Candy, The UTI has returned with my cat, or never went away. I think it takes a few days to fill the large towel under the litter. I notice at night that she talks very loudly, almost yells, and sometimes she is lying in areas she has never been before, particularly on top of a large table, starring at the wall. I'm going to move to x-rays and bloodwork. I have noticed that she has an odor, a very sweet odor, from her mouth. I wonder about diabetes. Her teeth were checked out a few weeks ago and they are fine. I'm also wondering if I need to send out urine to do a sensitivity study and find out if we are using the right antibiotic
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Bonnie.

Oh no. I wonder if she is not having a problem with low urinary tract disease causing some cystitis and not infection. She has had a lot of antibiotics so unless we are using the wrong ones then I would not expect their to be any infection. With Lower urinary tract disease this will mimic infection as it causes the same symptoms.
Here is more on this

I would have them do another UA in the office and if they see signs of infection then send it out for culture and sensitivity.
I would also ask about getting her on UR cat food to help prevent this in the future.

If she has a sweet smelling breath then I would discuss possible diabetes with your vet and see if they noticed any glucose in the urine which would be expected.

Also make sure you are cleaning the area around the litter box with an enzyme cleaner, I like urine off. If she can still smell urine in that area she may continue to use that other then the box.

Please keep me posted on how things are going
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. I have not cleaned these areas with anything like urine off and that might be a problem. I simply have changed out the towels and put in fresh litter, not thinking of the bathroom tiles. If I switch to special food then I'm a bit concerned about my other cat. My cats feed freely, kibble is always available, etc. Lastly, my cat with the possible URI has a long and pendulous abdomen that lays an inch from the ground and swings when she walks. She came this way last year, very unusual and almost comical, always going side-to-side. I wondered if this might affect her in some way? Again, do you think I need to move to an x-ray just yet? My Vet. charges seventy dollars and they almost never come out, still have to cover costs. Thanks.

I would try cleaning and just have a UA done to see if there is infection or crystals in the urine. I do not think you have to change the diet right now but if the problem continues then I would consider it and it would be fine if the other cats eat it all of mine do.

If she is a little on the heavy side it may be hard for her to clean herself and this can allow for bacteria to enter the vulva then ascend up in to the bladder. If she has a difficult time cleaning herself just wipe her a few times a day wit a warm cloth.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Candy, I urine-offed the areas and put new litter in the pans and everyone went in the boxes. This morning I was cleaning up a hairball with a small kitchen towel and left it on the floor when I went to take the dog out. When I came back the large cat was near the small dish towel. I picked it up and she had peed on it. I also read about FLUTD and she exhibits none of these symptoms --i.e. pain with urinating, blood in urine, licking her private area, obsession with the litter pan. I'd say a larger observation is that she only wants to use the box once a day, as if she holds her urine for lengthy periods. I'm seeing the Vet. today. I wondered your thoughts on this new information?

Actually one of the signs of cystitis is wanting to urinate on something soft such as the towels or something smooth like tile. We believe this is because they are having pain when urinating and they think by going one of these surfaces it will not be painful. In other wards they associate the litter box with pain.

Please let me know what the vet says.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. Will do.

Your welcome. Please give her a good head scratch from me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Candy, We discovered something at the Vet.'s that was quite unexpected. My cat Nora is old. The x-ray showed no stones but serious deterioration in her back hips, the type that they do surgery on. The Vet. was mystified because last years papers said Nora was "two" and her teeth were very clean. They could not get a urine sample but did a full blood work-up and gave me pain meds. to take home. Nora should weigh 12 pounds and is verging on 14 pounds, though given her hips the Vet. wants her to trim down to 10 pounds. So I have my work cut out for me. Nora might have had an infection but it is also possible that she isn't making it into the litter box because of pain in her legs. So until the results are in we won't know much more. Will keep you updated and thanks for caring. Bonnie PS The Vet. was so busy, a full house, and I just wondered if serious hip arthritis can happen to younger cats? Can it be genetics? Never got to ask....

Oh no poor girl. Can hip problems occur in young cats absolutely and we can not say she is old just because of this. Hip dysplasia which most people associate with dogs is actually a hereditary problem in the Maine Coon so this may have nothing to do with her age. Click here

I would try getting her a low sided litter box so she can just step in. The shallow rubber maid containers are also workable and I have seen people use the shallow aluminum baking pans( disposable ones) as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Candy. My Vet. mentioned the rubber maid. I'll check it all out tomorrow. I think she felt a surgery was in order, that there might have been a previous surgery or previous damage, but I'm of the cosequin, glucosamine/chondroitin stage right now, and far from surgery costs. I'm already over my limit by one animal. If the pain gets too severe on a cat do they put them to sleep? I'm not going there now, will work with NSAIDS etc., but I don't believe I'll spring for a surgery, due to restricted funds at this time of my life. I'm going to start her new diet first thing and go out and get supplements. I promise to pay again, the next time I wrote. Appreciate your help. Hope your grandson is doing alright. Bonnie

She is not really showing any signs of pain right now so I would go with the supplements and just see how it goes. There is always ways to manage pain. I have only seen a handful of owners go forward with the surgery and most do fine with medical management. There is no reason to pay again do not even worry this is follow up to the original question. You have to do what is best for you. I know you do everything you can for them but you have limits and that is ok so please do not feel bad. Lets start with the diet and weight loss and go from there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so very much. Good night now!

You are very welcome. You have a great night as well and give everyone a pet from me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Candy, Just a quick question about the ongoing UTI with my cat. Her blood work and thyroid were normal, no diabetes/sugar issues, the x-rays showed no stones. She completed three weeks of two antibiotics and in the last four days she has no urinated outside the box nor had any interest (other than normal) with the litter pan. The Vet. wanted me to bring her in for another urine test (she was unable to get any the day we did testing last week so I'd have to leave her) but as this causes my cat so much stress (she stresses out easily) I'm wondering if I can let the final retest go?

Hello Bonnie. As long as she is not having any trouble and she has completed that long of a round of 2 antibiotics then I think it would be fine to forgo the recheck. If needed you could get some of the crystal type litter from them that does not absorb urine and you could collect a sample at home and take it to them.

Give her a good pet from me and tell her I am so glad she is feeling better
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks a lot. I think your suggestion of Urine-Off did the trick!

You are very welcome. I love love love urine off. We tried everything on the feral cat rig and that was the only thing that worked. If a product can immediately kill the smell of tom cat urine then in my book it is a winner

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Candy, I thought you might have some insights. A few days ago I brought home six cats from Tavares AC (four kittens at five weeks old) and an eight week old, a five month old. They are in the back bedroom with a gate up, all of their activity is there, and they are healthy. My cat who was urinating around the house (happened when I had other kittens here and I contact you (above)) has start to vomit her food in several places, for four days now. She seems perfectly fine. Also, my little dog has urinated by the doorway, which I thought he had broken the habit of, but overall my cat and dog seem healthy. The work up on my cat who was urinating showed she had no medical problems whatsoever. I did a full work-up, took x-rays, and she doesn't have stones, just hip dysplasia. Do you think this vomiting could be because of the new cats in the house? They won't be here more than a few weeks. I don't want to spend even more money if I don't have to. I have two cats of my own but this particular cat, Nora, seems very sensitive to any change.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.
Hello Bonnie man you are a gluten for punishment. I wish there were more people like you . Yes I absolutely think this is due to the kittens. From what I have heard with Nora she does not like change and this can cause loss of appetite, vomiting, urinating out of the box etc this can also cause the dog to make his territory with all these little ones in the house.

If you have some form of anti anxiety supplement for Nora then try that if not I would try one of the Sentry pheromone collars. These are much cheaper then the Feliway and we have had really good feed back from clients on these. They also have these for dogs if his behavior continues.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Oh gosh thanks. I have Feliway here and I'll plug it back in. It's frustrating but I can't get angry with the animals. Both cats are avoiding their wet food and are very clingy and rarely see the other cats. I think animals really teach us what is important. A black light shows that my Karistan carpeting, that I saved three years for, is just about ruined. I'm thinking laminates in 2014. God bless you Candy and thanks for clearing up my worry and I hope you have a spectacular Thanksgiving.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Candy, I'm trying to find a way to tip you. How do I do that?

Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.
I apologize I had to step away to get my grandson in bed.

Try using the old towel trick on the cats too and see if this helps.

Use a towel or one of your shirts that you have worn. Rub your resident kitties with the towel and then go rub all of the kittens then back to the resident kitties. Do this 1-2 times per day for 5-7 days. They do not have to see the new kitties they can smell them. Cats identify each other by scent not sight so by mixing their scents you should be able to help reduce anxiety. If you rub them with your worn shirt you will help to mix your smell in to.

Thank you very much for wanting to give me a tip. I am not sure how to do that. I will have to send this to customer service so they can help you.

When I send it to them it will be locked for a short time and we will not be able to connect. I will wait until I am sure you got this before sending it over
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Candy. I hope your grandson is doing better. I'll try to towel trick. Great idea. HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.