Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a young cat that has gone through some major surgery

I have a young cat that has gone through some major surgery (kidney removed due to a cyst) he was hospitalized for 4 days. He is urinating in room corners despite multiple litter boxes throughout the house. Each spot has been treated with an enzyme cleaner. If he is caught squatting and placed in a box, he will use it instead. He has been neutered since he was 8 weeks and is now about 5 months old.

Hello, Lisa and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Decker today.

I'm so sorry to hear the little guy has gone through so much in his young life.

He may be urinating outside of the litterbox due to stress from the surgery. You have done a wonderful job in all your efforts to help him stop this behavior! I have two additional suggestions. Try using Feliway, a cat appeasing pheromone that decreases stress and helps with inappropriate urination. Here is more information: Feliway
It's available in both spray and plug in diffuser form and sold in pet supply stores and online.

Another product you can try is 'Cat Attract' kitty litter. Add this to his regular litter in all boxes and it contains herbal attractants to encourage use of the litterbox. This is also available in pet supply stores.

If the litterboxes are covered, try uncovering at least one or two, as he might prefer them open; also, if you are using scented litter, try using unscented.

Continue to clean the areas he has soiled with a good enzyme cleaner, and I hope you will see an improvement with Decker, soon!

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I have ordered both products and will let you know how they work

Hi again, Lisa and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Decker and yes, please update me on how he's doing after you start using the new products. I think you should use the Feliway plug in in the room he spends the most time in, and then use the spray in the corners where he urinates, after cleaning them thoroughly. Make sure to allow the Feliway to dry completely (about 20 minutes) before allowing him access to the sprayed areas. This will make him think he has already 'marked' there, so he won't feel the need to urinate in those corners.

Since you found my answer helpful, please take a moment to provide a positive rating so I may receive credit. Thanks very much! Laughing

All my best to you and Decker!
Cher
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Decker. How is everything going?

Cher