FelineMed, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Accomplished LVT for over 10 years with a BS in Biology as well. Experience working in 2 feline specific hospitals.

my 10 year old female not spayed cat has a mammary tumor,

my 10 year old female not spayed cat has a mammary tumor, Surgery is not an option, I can not afford the cost of cancer treatment. She has been doing well, still eats well. The tumor has a ulcer which i spray a cat wound spray on. Today it seems to be bleeding more. What advice can you give about her care. Someone told me about Nu-pet feline granular, it's vitamin & antioxidants and Life Gold it's herbal drops to help immune system. I am not sure if they are helping or not.

Hi, I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and have worked in 2 different cat hospitals for well over 10 years.

I'm so sorry that Neffer has a mammary tumor : (

Unfortunately, as you probably know, these are quite aggressive tumors. I definitely understand your predicament about being unable to afford any chemo...and it is hard to say how much the chemo would help anyways in a situation such as this, so doing the best you can for her, as you are doing, is the most you can do.

I'm not sure what shot the vet gave, but if it was white and called Depo, then that shot would have been a steroid and will last for awhile, but I'm guessing it may have been Convenia, an antibiotic injection (which lasts for a week or so), since oral steroids were also prescribed. We wouldn't want to double up on steroids.

Is it Prednisolone? Or Prednisone? Cats can utilize Prednisolone better than regular if you indeed have Prednisolone, I would go ahead and start it...if the injection already given was not a steroid. The Prednisolone can help keep Neffer's appetite and energy level up and will help decrease inflammation of the tumor. If it is Prednisone that you have, you may want to discuss with your vet about trying Prednisolone instead. Yes steroids can have some negative effects, but usually that is only if given long term. You would never want to take Neffer abruptly off of it once started though, you would have to wean her off.

A great natural healer is actually honey. Honey has antibacterial effects and great healing effects. Although it will not cure Neffer, it can help slow the progression of the ulceration of the tumor. Manuka honey specifically would be great to use on the ulcerated area. Here is a link:

Honey of course is messy, so you may need to attempt to wrap a light bandage around the area (if Neffer will let you : O) immediately after applying the honey for a bit to let it soak in and then remove it awhile after.

If the wound does seem to have a strong odor or you see pus, which can certainly happen as these tumors progress, then Neffer will need some antibiotics...

That is good that Neffer is eating well, but certainly if her appetite backs off, I would ask your vet for an appetite stimulant such as Periactin (Cyproheptadine) or Mirtazapine. Cats can get very sick if they go even a few days without eating well.

You do want to keep Neffer from licking the tumor area as much as possible because that could lead to infection faster. A soft e-collar would help keep her away from it and not inhibit her walking/eating much.

If she is leaving the area alone for the most part, then great and no need for a collar!

I hope all of this information has been helpful and I'm sure you will do the best you can at keeping Neffer comfortable for as long as possible.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. I aim to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an excellent rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please let me know how I can better assist you. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I checked and it is prednisone. the ulcer seems to be bleeding more then it was, will the honey help stop or slow the bleeding? or is there something else i can do to keep it from bleeding?

I am not going back to the same vet he didn't seem to be a cat person and the staff had even changed. The previous tech had been with the last 2 vet's i went to, she remembered all my cats by name (I have had 2 wonderful vets and both moved out of state) Guess it's time to search for a new clinic for my 8 cats.

So sorry for the delay in my did not alert me late last night that you were replying!

Wow! 8 cats? That is certainly a lot to handle!

Yes, it is always difficult when moving to find a new good vet...if you are able to find any local cat only clinics, that would be great.

Yes, cats are different than dogs and can best utilize Prednisolone...the previous vet should still be able to prescribe this, since they have already seen Neffer, while you are in the process of finding a new vet. The honey and the prednisolone should both help to decrease the bleeding some at least temporarily, but unfortunately the tumor will still of course keep progressing...

One other thing you can do are cold compresses on the tumor. This would be done by holding a cold wet washcloth over the tumor for a few minutes at a time a few times a day. This should help to not draw blood to the surface of the tumor.

I hope you are able to find a great new vet and I hope that Neffer is able to have at least a little relief.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. I aim to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then
an excellent rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please let me know how I can better assist you. Thanks! XXXXX

Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Neffer. How is everything going?