Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Rescued a big neutered tom. He is not very well socialized,

Rescued a big neutered tom. He is not very well socialized, and does not tolerate grooming or really any type of handling. He is very affectionate to, but won't allow anything like brushing etc.... He has a long coat that is matted, and I am concerned about his skin. The vet wants $400 to deal with it. I am a disabled vet, and just don't have the resources for this . He will definitely need to be sedated for the job. Any insight or suggestions?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would talk to your vet about getting him a sedative like Acepromazine and then either trying to groom him out at home or sedating him and taking him to a professional groomer to have him groomed.

The 400 estimate is pretty typical for a 30-60 minute grooming under general anesthesia. This takes up a lot of time and staffing, along with anesthetic usage.

Many groomers are good at working with difficult animals. They may be ok doing the grooming with just a sedative. Acepromazine is a good sedative that should get him quiet enough to work on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any health concerns with this, in particular his skin under the clumps?