Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a young 5 month old kitten who has broken her hind leg.

I have a young 5 month old kitten who has broken her hind leg. The femur is broken right above the kneecap. I have just brought her to a vet and she told me that she.needs to undergo surgery. Being a young college student I'm doing my best to come up with the funds. Should be about a month intil I can come up with the money.until then is there any suggestions I can make my kitten feel my confortable.

I have been giving her soft food and water through a syringe to keep her nourished. Also I am using a low wall litter box incase she needs it. I've been thinking of crafting a wheelchair for her or a splint to easy her incase she would like to get around.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I understand the situation, it's not easy.

Unfortunately, waiting a month to do surgery is really not a good option. There is a high likelihood that surgery will not be able to be done at that time or it may never heal even with surgery at that time. There will be too much scar tissue and healing already taking place by that time.

I would do one of two things:
1. Find a way to do financing. You can try going to They help finance veterinary care and then you pay them back interest free over 6-12 months. You could also have a family member or friend apply and then just pay them back.

2. Amputate the leg. This is a much cheaper surgery and cats do great on 3 legs. It's possible that you do the surgery in 1 month and then end up with a fracture that still doesn't heal. At that time, you would be stuck amputating. Doing it now helps with the pain.

I don't envy your situation, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes you are right I was hoping for a easy option but I'm trying. Apparently it has been broken through. Would you think less than a week would be okay? And if possible can you give me a ball park estimate for the surgery? I'm guessing about 2000

As long as we get to these within 2 weeks, we can usually get them healed up with surgery.

The cost is usually ~ 1500-2000 if a pin is used. It's usually ~ 2500-3000 if a plate is used. In a kitten, a pin should be sufficient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Any tips onto making thinks more comfortable until I can bring her in? Should I make the cart for her or the splint? Although it will be less than a week.

Also I would like to add I am trying to find a family member to apply for care credit. And I have a couple vets to call tommarrow.

You don't want to make a splint- that will actually pull more on the fracture site and make it worse. Your best bet is to get some pain meds from whoever diagnosed the fracture and keep her in a confined area- dog crate or bathroom- until you get the leg fixed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay besides this. Anything thing keeping wise? As in food, water, litter box am I doing it right? Some she will not drink so I fed it to her with a syringe just so she stays health. For food I give her canned but usually I soften up her dry food since she can barely chew at the moment. Or anything else I can keep in mind?

You can give canned food and leave water out as you normally would. If she's not eating, it's probably due to pain. Get her on some pain meds (Buprenex) and she should start eating.

A litter box should be a flat pan to get in and out of easily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do have her pain medication. I will keep up the following info. Thanks Dr. Gary for your help hopefully she thrives well after this week

You're welcome, best of luck with everything.