Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My cat was on Prozac because he has not been able to adjust

My cat was on Prozac because he has not been able to adjust to two cats that I adopted over a year ago. This was in addition to behavior modification. After nearly a year of him taking Prozac and things being tolerable but not great, my vet prescribed amitritypline and said to start the amitrityline while at the same time cutting the dose of Prozac to half for 2 weeks. Within 24 hours of me doing this, he became outright aggressive to the other 2 cats and also didn't seem to feel well. The behaviorist consulted with a colleague who thought this is likely serotonin syndrome. I stopped the amitryptiline but went back to the original dose of Prozac. But now I am thinking that if the problem was an overload of serotonin, maybe I should stop the prozac altogether for a couple of days so that his system can clear it out. Does that make sense? If so, how long should I go before I restart the prozac?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

My normally friendly dog became aggressive on and bit someone on amitriptyline. So, I am not more careful with that medication.

I would wait 48 hours and then start him back on a small amount of Prozac. Gradually increase the dose each week until he is back on his original dose. Try to keep him on the lowest effective dose.

Did that help?

If you have additional questions, please click reply.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - yes that helps.

How much is a "small amount of Prozac" and what is the lowest effective dose or does that vary depending on the animal?

Also, what about not re-starting the Prozac and instead switch to amitriptyline since I wasn't thrilled with the results of Prozac in the first place? Maybe not given the experience with your dog.

Is there another drug that might help instead? My vet says that Buspar isn't a good option due to the risk of aggression (ironically).

Thanks again!

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
What does of amitriptyline and Prozac was he on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5 mg of Prozac and 10 mg of amitriptyline.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

How much is a "small amount of Prozac" and what is the lowest effective dose or does that vary depending on the animal? 1.25 mg of Prozac daily

Also, what about not re-starting the Prozac and instead switch to amitriptyline since I wasn't thrilled with the results of Prozac in the first place? I think that would be fine. I would start with 2.5 mg, or 1/4 tablet, once a day for a week. Then increase by 1/4 a tablet every week. If he becomes aggressive on that, then he will need to try a different medication.

You could try Ativan or Zoloft.

We are suppose to leave a cat on the medication for 3 weeks before we decide it does not work. But, if he gets more aggressive then I would try a different one.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here