Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat is acting "out of it". Shes purring, but I havent

My cat is acting "out of it". She's purring, but I haven't seen her groom herself or eat since I've been home from work for about an hour and a half. She also seems to be keeping her eyes mostly shut. I'm hoping she's just really tired.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mocha.
Eyes being closed can be caused by allergic reactions, dehydration, an injury to the eyes like having been scratched or walking into something.
If she was healthy otherwise, then the closed eyes may be more consistent with just being tired. So, I am a bit concerned about the eyes. If possible, try to lift open the eyelids to look at the white parts of the eyes (sclera). See if it is inflamed or not.

Also, not eating is always a red flag for cats. Loss of appetite is a big red flag in cats. Why?
When a cat goes just a few days without eating properly, they break down their fat. We would all do it. But, cats place fat into the liver causing much more severe illness called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome).

If for any reason she gets progressively worse with not opening eyes, breathing is changed or labored, swelling of her face, or vomiting, defintiely get into an ER vet, as she may be suffering some type of reaction.

If the eyes do appear inflamed or with discharge in them, that would also be a vote for sooner evaluation.
Very sorry Mocha is not feeling well this evening. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her eyes seem okay, just... closed. :) We'll keep an eye on her. It just wasn't like her not to greet me at the door, and then not be interested in her wet food for the evening. She also has a habit (as of lately) to help herself to the dogs water, instead of her own. Not sure if that's anything.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Shouldn't be an issue with the shared water bowl. Of course, if there was a parasite issue, that is a separate issue, but unlikely related in this situation.

Definitely, close observation. If the loss of appetite goes into 48 hours, that will be a red flag for a vet visit as well.

Good Luck!
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management