Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My cat is 2 years old, I dint know her exact breed but I would

My cat is 2 years old, I dint know her exact breed but I would say she's a tortoise shell by her appearance. Ever since she was a kitten she has been super skinny. She is still very very energetic, eats healthy, but has never really seemed to gain the weight. There is no signs of illness, she's an indoor cat, and nothing in her stools. She is getting fixed in about a month so I don't know if that well help weight gain. I just assumed it was because she was the smallest of the litter. Is there anything I should be feeding her to help her gain weight? Should I be worried?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX I would not to be too worried since she seems to be feeling well otherwise. I would make sure though that they do a little blood work before her spay to check her kidney function and liver function. This is pretty standard before surgery even for young cats. This will rule out any issues just to be sure. A couple things you can feed besides her obvious cat food is canned cat food such as friskies or fancy feast. This will entice her to eat more and increase her daily caloric intake. Also offering canned tuna, canned chicken, canned salmon (all in water) are great ways to increase protein content also. So you can offer all three, dry food, canned food, and canned lean protein sources that i mentioned above. Also you can supplement with a product called nutrical. Which is a supplement full of vitamins and calories. So all these are easy enough and are all very health and should increase her weight. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. So please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh thank goodness so happy to hear it's not a concern! How often should I be giving her the canned tuna, chicken, salmon?

You can give it every couple of ours. I would try three to four times daily. That should definitely help.
Hi Kimberly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead