Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat was put to sleep over a month now due to kidney failure

My cat was put to sleep over a month now due to kidney failure he is 19 years old my other watched him lying dead the vet came to our house I took photo of them on the couh boop is dead and whiskey was looking also took photo of whiskey grieving as soon the pet cremation took boop for cremation it added more sadness and grief looking at her on her photo she lis still grieving until now and lost weight he cries all day or meow she still eat but don't drink water and she sleeps on the dining chair I am worried that she will die too
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Gloria and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you and Whiskey today.

My heartfelt condolences on your recent loss of Boop. I know how difficult this is for you and Whiskey. It is not abnormal for cats to grieve the loss of their companions, but because Whiskey is a 'senior' cat, the symptoms you describe could be related to an underlying medical condition which older cats are prone to develop, like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues. In addition, she may still be grieving.

It would be a good next step to bring Whiskey to the vet for a hands-on examination and routine senior blood tests, just to find out if all is well with her. Meowing constantly and weight loss could be a symptom of discomfort/pain or hyperthyroidism, where the thyroid gland is overactive and produces too much hormone. This can be treated with medication. If she's not drinking, she may be dehydrated, so the vet may give her fluids under the skin (called 'sub-Q' fluids).

Try to have her seen as soon as possible, and for the moment, continue to monitor her and give her extra love and attention. I would not recommend getting another cat/kitten at this time, as it might just upset her more. Older cats typically can't tolerate the energetic antics of a young kitten and in addition, new introductions are stressful.

If she doesn't already have one, get a kitty condo/cat tree with different levels, shelves, and hidey holes, for playing and sleeping. This can also be used as a scratching post, as it's covered in carpet. If you enrich her environment with some new cat-safe toys, this might take her mind off her grief.

You can visit this site about pet loss and it might help to ease your grief in some small way: Rainbow Bridge (scroll down to 'The Poem').

I hope all will be well with Whiskey!

Please provide a positive rating so I may be credited for my answer. Thank you! Laughing

Warmest regards,
Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you Cher..

I will make an appointment with a vet, he comes to the house it is more convenient for us. I notice whiskey is shaking a bit, is it a seizure?

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.
You're most welcome, Gloria!

Your excellent rating is truly appreciated; thank you!

I'm glad you can get a vet to come to the house; it IS much more convenient and less stressful for Whiskey. Shaking by itself is usually not a seizure (but you can't rule that out), but it could be shivering, caused by a fever. If you have a rectal or digital thermometer, you can check her temperature, which should be between 100.5 and 102.5 (Fahrenheit). With a seizure, sometimes, there could be shaking (convulsions). Here is more information about seizures in cats: Seizures

Please keep me posted and let me know how Whiskey is doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Cher