Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

my cat has a large/deep sores on the back of his neck; I just

my cat has a large/deep sores on the back of his neck; I just found another spot (just skin - no fur) under his chin and another round spot just above it. The last two seem to be healing;the top one in raw and scabby.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Denise and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Leo today.

First, I have a few questions, to become more familiar with the situation. Please allow me a short while after receiving your reply, to compose and send your answer. Thanks!

Do these areas seem itchy to him? Is he scratching at them?

Do they seem painful?

Does Leo spend any time outdoors?

Is he acting as usual re: eating, drinking and eliminating?

What type of food does Leo eat? (Brand and dry/canned)

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cher,

They don't seem to be itchy. Leo is a pretty quiet cat (except when he's hungry); he is real whiny recently... and affectionate! ... something he seldom is...

I think the whining might be an indication of pain. He is an indoor cat, never even runs out on my deck!

He hasn't eaten for a few days. We feed him dry food, but changed to canned a day ago which he eats ... slowly...

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Denise and thanks for your helpful reply.

Also, thanks for your patience, as I had a lot to say. : )

There are various possibilities of what these sores/bald spots could be. One is ringworm, a fungal skin infection not caused by a worm at all. It usually causes hairloss as the infection makes the base of the hair brittle,and it breaks off. Sometimes ringworm is itchy and sometimes it's not. The only way to know for sure if this is ringworm, is for the vet to look at the skin under a special light called a 'Woods lamp'. Ringworm is quite contagious between cats and also between cats and humans, so until you know for sure what is causing his symptoms, try to wear gloves when you touch these areas. Here is more information about ringworm in cats: Ringworm

The sore on his neck may be caused by a bot worm. The bot fly lays eggs and the larvae burrow under the skin, leaving a tiny 'breathing hole' about the size of a pencil point. This condition is called 'cuterebra'. Check to see if you notice a tiny hole like this in any of the sores. You also might see the tiny white worm sticking it's head out of the hole, if this is the condition he has. The tiny worm is full of dangerous bacteria, so you wouldn't want to squash it in the skin. It would be best to have the vet remove it carefully. Here is more information: Cuterebra

Because Leo doesn't spend any time outside, the chances are lower that this could be cuterebra.

Another possibility is allergies. This could include inhalant, flea, contact or food allergies; the fact the you just started a new food could be related, but since you mentioned he also hadn't eaten for 3 days, this is of concern. When a cat doesn't eat properly or at all for even a short period of time, he can risk developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver'. Here is more information about allergies in cats: Allergies

Try not to use hydrogen peroxide to clean these areas, because it can be rough on the skin tissue. It would be better to use diluted Betadine (add water until it's like the color of weak tea).

At this time, it would be advisable to have Leo seen in person by a vet, for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment. Make sure to mention he hasn't been eating as usual and you recently changed food. A routine senior blood test would also be a good idea, as older cats are more prone to develop medical conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues. These could also affect his appetite.

I hope all will be well with Leo once he is diagnosed and prescribed treatment by the vet.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cher,

Thanks so much for the response. We have an appointment on Tuesday, but that was only after we found the 'fresh' wound on the top of his neck. The other two spots were found after that - whew!

Thanks again!

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Denise and you're most welcome!

I'm glad you have an appointment to have Leo seen on Tuesday, so you will finally find out what is causing these spots. Once the vet knows the cause, s/he will provide the most appropriate treatment and Leo should feel better. Also, remember to ask about the routine senior bloodwork, as cats of this age should have vet visits and blood tests every 6-12 months, just to be sure all is well, because certain medical conditions can pop up suddenly and you'd want to know and get treatment asap.

Please keep me posted on how Leo is feeling and what the vet's findings are? Thanks!

If you found my answer helpful, please provide a positive rating so I receive credit; I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?

Cher