Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My Abyssinian kitten of 5 months fell off our third floor balcony

My Abyssinian kitten of 5 months fell off our third floor balcony and has injured her left shoulder. We are broken hearted. There is nothing broken and the vet has said that there is nerve damage but is not sure about how to proceed with treatment. I have been reading some pet forums and see that massage may help. Can you please tell me how and where to massage if you think it would help. What are the chances of this reversing

Hello Susan,

I am so sorry Yasmin was injured.

Can you please tell me:
when did this happen?

is she able to walk?

is she in pain?

is her shoulder swollen?

was any medication tried?

is she eating?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It happened on Sunday night and she was taken to the vet immediately.She is not putting her front left leg on the floor at all. She doesn't appear to be in pain.
She was given pain medication on Sunday night for 2 days, she is not on any medication now.
We were at the vet again today where he took more X-rays, hoping to find a break somewhere.
Her shoulder is not swollen, it just seems to have dropped.
Otherwise she is eating well, using the litter and even managing to jump using her other legs.
Thanks Terri

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I am sorry but I have a few more questions:

Were xrays taken of her back and neck or just her leg and shoulder?

when she got the pain meds did she put her leg on the floor?

Could her shoulder be dislocated?

does the vet have an anti-inflammatory he could try?

Thanks for more details,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
X-rays were also taken of the neck and back.
She didn't put it on the floor even with the pain meds but we think she is lifting the paw a little higher now than before, she is not dragging it on the floor.
The vet didn't mention either a dislocation or an anti-inflammatory.

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I am so sorry about Yasmin's accident. I think it's wonderful that nothing is dislocated or broken. Those facts plus her age give her an excellent chance to recover. Cats are excellent healers, more so, when they are young.Yasin, improving in the way she no longer drags her leg tells me some healing is going on already.

Yes, gentle massage can help because it brings fresh blood to the surface.However, since she may have torn a tendon, you do not want to start it yet.

Set her up in a quiet area. You say she is jumping. it is better to limit that until she improves further.

In the meantime alternate war and cold compresses. Leave cold on 5 minutes and off 15 for two hours. Then do the warm same amount of time

Continue with the one that gives her the most relief. Start the massage in five days. Gently rub her back and neck and shoulder. Try for 5 - 8 minute intervals 3 times a day.

I don't know what the weather is there but if its warm swim therapy can be very helpful.

Read mhttp://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_ct_shoulder_joint_conditionsore here:

Ask her vet about anti-inflammatory medication.

Please keep in touch and let me know how she is doing.

As I said her age is going to work in her favor.

If you still have questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Best wishes and prayers,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Terri, you have given us hope. I'm afraid the water here is freezing now but how about a warm bath? Also how will we know whether the hot or the cold compresses are working best, XXXXX XXXXX her reaction be?

Best regards & thank you again
Susan

Dear XXXXX,

You are more than welcome! It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

If the compresses hurt, Yasmin will let you know she does not like it by pulling away. Since it is cold there, lets do the warm ones first. You can put raw rice in socks and heat them in the microwave, then apply it to the area. Make sure it is not too hot. It should be just comfortably warm .She should enjoy that.If something feels god, she will want more of it.

She can take a warm bath as long as you are able to blow dry her. I do not want her to chill.

Just let her eat well and not do too much exercise and she should heal up in a few weeks or a month.She can move around but not overdo

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/neurological/c_ct_brachial_plexus_avulsion

Be sure not to give her human meds like aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen because they are toxic to cats.

Please keep in touch and let me know how things go.

Warmest regards XXXXX XXXXX

Terri

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Terri, should we ask the vet for anti inflammatories?
Great advice. thanks

You are more than welcome,Susan.

You should ask the vet about anti-inflammatories. Ask if he thinks they will help her.They can bring down swelling and make her much more comfortable.

You can always reply to me at no additionial charge even after you rate my answer. I will always be here for you.

Love,Terri

Hi Susan,
I am folllowing up with you to see how Yasmin is doing.
I am praying she is getting better

Love,
Terri