Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

In the last year, my cat has developed a large bump on the

In the last year, my cat has developed a large bump on the back of her neck, like a mole (or maybe a cyst). I think it developed pretty quickly or else I only noticed when it was big. Is this normal or does she need to see a vet?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your girl has a lump that has you worried.

Can you tell me if it is at the base of the neck in between the shoulder blades?

Have you ever seen her have vaccines in this area?

Does she go outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is on the bone of her shoulder blade (not between). She is an indoor cat- the most she has been outside is for a few minutes, but this is not typical. I'm not sure where her vaccines were delivered.

Thank you for the additional information.

When ever we hear of a bump in the area of the shoulder blade at the base of the neck we worry about vaccine associated Fibrosarcoma. This is a fast growing cancer that develops in that area in response to vaccines in some cats.
Here is additional information Link

It is also possible that this is something simple such as a sebaceous cyst which is nothing to worry about as it is caused by a clogged pore.Link

Considering the location of this lump I would suggest having this looked at by the vet to be sure it is not something serious.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
sebaceous cyst