EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Medical Director
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian with 10 years experience
63977546

My cats black lining of his lips from the upper and down have

My cats black lining of his lips from the upper and down have peeled. It is now pinkish with small dots of blood. The hair around it has also started to fall/thin out..It then moved up to the sided of his nose(falling/thinning of hair) and finally on top of his nose...
Am not sure but weeks ago we had him neutered and he now grooms his self more then usual not sure if that's the case. also we've caught him drink water from the toilet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  EmergencyVets replied 10 months ago.

EmergencyVets : Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..
EmergencyVets : Beings young cat who just got fixed . I am suspicious if this is not a case of ringworm!
EmergencyVets : A microns ole type lotion topically can help for smaller focal areas( generic miconazole lotion from the store is fine and inexpensive). But if it spreads further and witha lot of facial involvement you may likely need a vet visit for medicated baths or high doses lufenuron or there are other prescription medications.
EmergencyVets : Sorry auto correct changed Miconazoleto microns
Customer:

how could he have gotten being a indoor cat?

Customer:

should we be cautious when handling him so we don't get infected if spreadable.

EmergencyVets : Could have got it from stress of being neutered and location of the procedure if other cats were coming through. If not ringworm I would be suspicious of a significant pyoderma- bacterial infection. Or it could be an immune mediated disease. All together a vet exam can help differentiate all three.
EmergencyVets : Yes . Please use good sanitary habits and wash after handling . You don't have to go alloys extreme unless someone in the house has their own auto immune disease . Then I would have them wear gloves or avoid the cat until healed !
EmergencyVets : Hope this helps.. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you have concerns or are not satisfied by my answer.. If no further questions please Rate and Accept my answer.. That and positive feedback are the only way I receive credit for my time.. Take care and good luck. Dr. Chad
Customer:

is it possible to send you a picture to get a better look?

EmergencyVets : You can but it is hard to tell . Needs woods lamp androgen microscopic exam
EmergencyVets : might be needed as well plus a possible dtm fungal culture
Customer:

oh k . then we'll just take him to the vet for futher exams. thanks for you time

EmergencyVets : It will be best considering the extent of the lesions
EmergencyVets, Medical Director
Experience: Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian with 10 years experience
Hi Roxanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Link. How is everything going?

EmergencyVets