Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a 16 year old cat he has been really healthy. But lately

I have a 16 year old cat he has been really healthy. But lately I have noticed he makes a noise when he breaths. And tonight more then ever. Could it be an allergy?

Hello, Sonja and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you today. I believe I may have answered questions for you about Topcat in the past.

If the noise seems to be coming from his nose, almost like snoring, it could be stuffy and/or the nasal membranes may be swollen, and this could be related to inhalant allergies to various things in the house, like dust, scented candles, air fresheners, cleansers you use, laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc. He could also be allergic to a component in his food. Allergies

If the noise you hear is more like a 'wheeze', he could have become asthmatic or developed bronchitis or another type of respiratory infection. Here is more information:
CLICK

For the moment, try running a humidifier in the room he spends the most time in, and this should help.

Because of Topcat's senior age, it would be a good idea to have him checked in person by his vet to get a diagnosis and then, treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Cher,
Yes you have answered a question for me before. Thank you.
He doesn't cough but he does sneeze sometimes. I don't see any discharge from the nose or eyes. And he is still eating good.but I noticed tonight it was worse then it has been. When he starts purring it seems to stop.
Hi again, Sonja and you're most welcome; thanks for your helpful reply.

I remembered yours and Topcat's names! : )

If he's not coughing, but is sneezing, and is still eating well, he may have nasal allergies and that's why he's making noise when he breathes. If, when he starts purring, it seems to stop, that's good. Try the humidifier for the time being, but it would still be advisable to have him evaluated in person by his vet, so you know for sure what's causing this, after a hands-on examination. The vet may prescribe antihistamines and/or nose drops to help with the sneezing and he will listen to his heart and lungs with the stethoscope to get a better idea of the cause behind the problem. If he hears any abnormality, he may want to do a chest x-ray to get more information.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is laying on me now and no noise while he is breathing. I also noticed that sometimes when he meows first thing in the morning he sounds hoarse.
Hi again, Sonja.

I'm glad you're not hearing any noise now, while he's laying on you.

The hoarse meow first thing in the morning is most likely nothing to worry about unless his meow is hoarse all the time. It's like when we humans first wake up and haven't spoken yet, our voices are a little hoarse as our throats are dry from sleeping. This is probably the case with Topcat. If he hasn't 'spoken' for a while, his throat could be a little dry and that first morning meow will sound hoarse.

Of course if he has other symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (sneezing/stuffy nose) or other type of problem, everything is 'connected' inside, so this could be a cause for the hoarse meow, also. Mention this to the vet when you have him seen.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Cher I will try to get him seen tomorrow
You're most welcome, Sonja.

I hope all will be well with Topcat, and please let me know what the vet's findings are, if you're able. Thanks!

Warmest wishes to you both,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Cher,
Just following up. I took Topcat to the vet and he said he thought it was a allergy. He gave him a mild shot of cortisone. He is not making noise anymore while he sleeps.mHe is till eating good and the vet said he has gained a pound since he saw him last and wants him to lose weight.
He said he to old to be over weight. And he would like for him to be about 11 pounds or so. He weighs 15 and is a main coon and he is 16 years old.
Hi again, Sonja and thanks so much for your update on Topcat!

I'm glad the vet treated him for an allergy and it seems to have solved the problem!

Yes, being overweight in senior cats can lead to diabetes and other medical problems, so try to feed him a healthy, low carb canned food (grain-free, if you can) and decrease his serving sizes, slightly. Maine Coons ARE naturally a big breed, but even if you can get him to lose a couple of pounds, it will be healthier for him. Some well recommended grain free foods are Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Felidae, and others you can find in your pet supply store. Just read the labels and make sure real meat and/or fish (no by-products) is the first ingredient and it doesn't include any soy, gluten, wheat, corn, dairy products, artificial colors, flavors and/or preservatives. These are common allergens for cats.

Here is a great collection of articles written by a veterinarian on the best way to feed our cats (including special medical conditions): http://www.catinfo.org/

I hope Topcat continues to do well!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cher,
Can mold give animal an allergy as well? Could it make a cat wheeze?
Hi again, Sonja.

Yes, animals can have allergic reactions to mold, just like humans. It could cause respiratory symptoms like wheezing.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I keep smelling this smell in my home and I think it is mold. I am sick and haven't been since 2005. I have been sneezing and now I am wheezing and the cat and I got sick at the same time. I think it might be mold. I am going to try and have someone come out and check.
Hi again, Sonja.

Yes, if you smell something odd that you never smelled before, and you've been sick with respiratory symptoms and so was Topcat, it very well could be mold, so I'm glad you're going to have a specialist come out and check for that. If both of you are constantly breathing in mold spores, that's dangerous. Make sure you choose a reputable company because some of these mold removal companies will say you have a big problem and charge a fortune, when you really don't need that much work done.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can I find someone where I live? I am in a really small area. San Luis obispo, California
Hi again, Sonja.

It would be a good idea to ask people in your neighborhood if they've ever had to use a mold specialist and word of mouth is always the best recommendation. Otherwise, look in your Yellow Pages, and make sure the companies you choose to call are licensed and insured and call a few to get prices 'just to look' and then look them up online to see if they have any complaints written about them. Go to a search engine like Google and put in 'name of company complaints' and read reviews written by past customers. Oh, you can also check their rating and/or complaints on the Better Business Bureau website (www.bbb.org).

Just be cautious, and research the company before you hire them.

I didn't realize San Luis Obispo was such a small area. I'm on the East coast and I've heard of it.

Best regards,
Cher