Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I am reading up on cats with diarrhea oozing out of their bums

I am reading up on cats with diarrhea oozing out of their bums since my cat is having the same problem. My cat Is 17 yrs old and a cancer survivor so we've had bowel issues since his original diagnosis. He had intestinal surgery to remove a lymphosarcoma about 8 yrs ago, followed by two years or so of chemo. The tumor was located between the large and small intestine so he has had bowel issues for awhile. I have gone through a variety of things in the past - pumpkin, Metamucil, laxative, metronidazole, etc. All seem to work for awhile then he has issues again. He also has constipation issues in the past - a lot depends on what his diet is. He was having joint issues so we recently put him on cosequin, which is when this new issue started. I have since taken him off it but can't seem to get him regulated again. I had also started a grain-free diet which worked somewhat but he didn't eat the food as much.

He is uncomfortable during the diarrhea but otherwise is eating, drinking And playing. He used the litter box still but also has accidents on the floor and furniture. I have had blood work and urine tested in the past few weeks, seems to be normal for his age - slight elevation in one kidney value (blanking on which) but that's about it.

My vet is awesome I am just looking for another opinion and maybe other ideas. Should I try to mix in more grainfree as that gave him a firmer stool? Or is that worse?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Mac is having some trouble, poor guy sounds like he has had a few battles along the way. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Was there ever a time after the surgery that the stools were firm?

Has he been on any prescription diets, if so which ones and for how long?

Exactly what foods is he eating now and are they canned or dry?

Have x rays/ultrasound been done recently to look at the digestive tract?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type up your answer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thx. Yes to firm stool both before and after surgery/chemo. No rx diets. He is now on fancy feast wet (not the best food but he got constipated on higher end wet food - used to be on science diet, blue whatever and tried others). He gets a small can a day - half in am half in pm. Dry food is simply nourish. Also used to get science diet dry but switched about 8 mos ago - he and his sister like this better. Also temptations treats and occasionally boiled chicken. My boy just followed me into the kitchen when he heard the food bag as I checked the name - he does love food. No X-ray/ultrasound lately - last was probably last year. Vet did not feel anything on palpating and blood work clear. I was recently out of work so focused on treatments. He recently had a urinary tract infection and we treated with convenia(spelling?). He has lost weight this past year - almost 4 pounds- so working more on keeping him comfortable than heroic measures (I just paid off the last round it seems!). I also can't put Mac or I through all that again with little hope for long term success.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much for the additional information.

It is not uncommon to see varying degrees of digestive problems after the surgery and chemo.Changing the diet up can also make the problems worse.
In many cases a strict diet is needed to get the stools in balance. Some cats respond well to prescription diets designed for chronic diarrhea while others will do better on a hypoallergenic diet. I would talk to your vet and see if they think trying a prescription diet would be beneficial.

If you want to try something over the counter then I would suggest something grain free with a single noel protein source. Many foods will list one protein such as chicken but actually contain 2-4 different proteins. I would look for a protein source he is not used to but may like such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo,
Natural Balance make a good limited ingredient diet and they will mail you samples if you contact them. Your vet may also be able to get you sample of some of the prescription diets so you can find one he likes.

When you do a food change I would stop all treats even the chicken and give the food 8-12 weeks to see if it works.

Until you decide which direction you want to go as far as food you can try adding some boiled rice into his canned food and feed more grain free. The trick is going to be to balance between constipation and diarrhea, which is why a prescription diet may be best. It is possible that he is reacting to something particular in his diet which is why we want to limit what goes in. Once the stool is normal again you could add back in one treat at a time to see if either of these are bothering him.

Did your vet check the thyroid levels? I am sure they did but just needed to check as the weight loss and chronic loose stool can be signs of hyperthyroid which is common in cats.

It is also possible that there is more cancer which would account for all of the symptoms.
\A short course of steroids can be helpful in some cases as well.
If it is just leaking out this this could be due to a lack of muscle in the sphincter muscle as well as the sudden urge that he can not control.

I completely understand the no heroics I completely agree and you did go above and beyond when he was young and you opted to treat the cancer. You have given him many more happy years I am sure.

I would try a food change as discussed above and I really think that will help though it may take a bit to find a food that works and that he actually likes.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. We have tried prescription diets but he tends not to eat them. I am sorry I wasn't clear. I will go back to trying a grainfree diet and give it a bit longer. He just seemed to not be eating and I was concerned as this was the same time as the UTI and he was acting sluggish. I also have another cat with a sensitive stomach so food changes are often tricky! I will give it another go and hope it helps. My vet and I did discuss prednisone as an option moving forward but I hoped to hold off on that if possible.

Thanks again. And yes, the surgery and chemo gave Mac many more years but also gave me more with him - well worth it!
Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.

You are lucky to have each other.There are many grain free brands and most will send you samples, the pet store may even have samples available. We do not want him to stop eating. Eating it the main thing so lets see if we can find one that he likes by getting samples/ Try the samples with him only so that we do not upset the other cats stomach and once we find one that he likes then introduce that to the other cat.

I understand the steroid concern as well.

Please keep me posted on how things are going and know that I am here if you need me.

Give them both a good head scratch from me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thought I'd give you a quick update - I know it has only been a little over the week, but things are going well for Mac. I found some high-end grain-free wet food that he likes (yes!) and that doesn't seem to make his sister sick. A win-win. I'm working on gradually changing his dry food as well. I've done one dose of laxative because he seemed to need it, but otherwise he seems to be doing much better. Still a few messes, but he has been very polite and avoided the carpet.

Thanks again for your help! Very much appreciated!

Maureen, Mac and Josie

Expert:  Candy R. replied 8 months ago.
Yay that is very encouraging not only that you have found a food he likes and his sister can tolerate but also that you see a small difference.

Give them both a good pet from me and thank you so much for the update.