Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

So my 13 year old male cat out of the blue started vomiting

So my 13 year old male cat out of the blue started vomiting last week and was just sick. Took him to the vet, blood work only showed elevated globulins and slightly elevated glucose. The xray could not visualize the abdomen well and she suggested an ultrasound. The u/s showed inflammation of the abdomen and all the intestines. She drained some of the fluids from the abdomen and sent a cytology. The cytology came back and was inconclusive. She did rule out FIP but her gut was that it's carcinomatosis. She said she could do an exploratory surgery but due to the complex nature of carinomatosis it may not tell us anything either. He is still not really eating (a bite here and there) but is drinking water. Of course I want to know what it going on but I do not want to subject him to an exploratory surgery. I just picked up a script on cerenia to hopefully stimulate appetite. She did say we could try prednisone as well but thought he maybe had 1-6 weeks left. I know fluid in the abdomen is never a good sign and if he's not eating, that's not good but it just came on so suddenly last week and he has been so healthy. Wouldn't his white blood cell counts be elevated with carcinomatosis?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I'm sorry to hear about Kobe's illness.

Dr. Drew :

Unfortunately, some types of cancers won't cause changes in the white blood cell count.

Dr. Drew :

Carcinoma, and secondary carcinomatosis, is often one of those types that won't lead to elevations in the white blood cell count.

Dr. Drew :

Also, cats are masters at hiding signs of illness, until it reaches a point where they are no longer able to cope.

Dr. Drew :

That's why we often are dealing with a very ill cat, once signs of a problem actually appear.

Dr. Drew :

Typically, with carcinomatosis, exploratory surgery should yield some solid information, as the abdominal organs typically appear quite abnormal with this condition.

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. I guess I was just so surprised by the acute onset and frustrated that all this diagnostic testing was yielding no results or concrete answers. I'm hesitant to put him through exploratory surgery but the most important thing to me is his comfort and quality of life.