Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

so my kitten is roughly 7 weeks old.. we arnt entirely sure

so my kitten is roughly 7 weeks old.. we arnt entirely sure but she is getting over being very sick. she was in the emergency animal hospital for 2 nights and 3 days and wasnt going to make it. i decided to give her a few more hours to see if she turned around and the critical care vet called and said all of a sudden she got a whole lot better and is now alert. she had very bad diarrhea while at teh hospital and also for days before she went in but at the hospital was very watery. she is now home on a new de wormer. (had gotten a different one at regular vet check up when i got her about 2 weeks ago) i brought her home almost 2 days ago now. she is also on a few other meds and antibiotic. she hasnt had any diarrhea at all, poop looks normal. but now since she has gotten home she leaves little poop on the floor alot when she walks around. or where she sits, and is always cleaning her but area like its bothering her. how do i stop the poop oozing out of her? even when she meows for food really loud ill find a little poop where she was sitting. Almost like she is trying to hold it in but a little squeezes out. whats the deal with this?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like her anus was pretty inflamed and irritated. This will weaken the anal sphincter and lead to some fecal incontinence. It should resolve, but it may take 5-7 days after the diarrhea resolves fully.

To help with her colon health, you can add some extra fiber to her diet. To do this, you can give her 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin 2-4 times daily. That will help improve the stool consistency and motility through the colon. It will also help with overall rectal health.

Another possible reason for these signs is the meds. Multiple antibiotics and medications can lead to poor colon motility. Once those are stopped, you should also see some improvement. I would just keep her somewhere where you can clean up after her easily- a bathroom usually works well. In another few days, these signs should resolve and she can be introduced to the rest of the house.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks for the information, thats kind of what i was thinking and what i was told by my vet over the phone but i wanted to double check and hear from someone else. Glad to hear that you think it will stop. Also, she LOVES food, like attacks it when she eats. After eating her food she almost looks liek she is gagging or hiccuping. sometimes it gets pretty intense like shes going to throw up but doesn't. I was told maybe she is eating too fast? today after eating and having the "hiccups" she started sneezing/ almost hyper ventilating? she was pushing air out of her nose over and over again and mucus was bubbleing out of her nose. Could she have eaten so fast that she got some in her sinus or something?

Yeah, it sounds like she's eating too fast and probably aspirating a little where it's going into the airway. That'll cause the cough/ gagging/ hiccup episodes.

Hi Ben,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nell. How is everything going?