Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Hi Candy - my cat is 10 and has developed some lumps on his

Hi Candy - my cat is 10 and has developed some lumps on his chin along his jaw line. He has had this once or twice in the past and they have cleared up on their own. This time he has 3. 1 is the size of a pimple and the other two are the size of zits. They have bled a little and he doesn't want me to touch them. I thought if it was tooth related there would only be one? Also their water bowls are plastic so maybe that's it? Can I clean the chin with something? Neosporin? Hydrogen peroxide?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

From your description, it sounds like Charlie has developed feline acne. It is similar to human acne, as it can be caused by overactive sebaceous (oil) glands that get plugged, and it can also be caused by the use of plastic bowls, as you mentioned you're using for their water. Here is additional information: Click

Sometimes, an allergy to metal bowls can also be acquired, so it's best to feed both food and water from glass or ceramic bowls and wash with hot soapy water every day; rinse well, and dry. Plastic can develop tiny cracks in which bacteria can live and may never be clean enough, that's why it's recommended not to use them.

For Charlie's chin, wash with warm water and an antibacterial soap, rinse well with clear water, then dab lightly with hydrogen peroxide, diluted betadine or an astringent like Sea Breeze on a cotton ball, pat dry and apply a thin film of plain Neosporin to help heal the open sores. However, you do want to keep the area clean and dry, so wash Charlie's face and chin/lip area after eating, if it gets dirty. If the sores don't clear up on their own, have this symptom evaluated by your vet in person and s/he will prescribe treatment. If a bacterial infection is present, antibiotics may be prescribed.

I hope all will be well with Charlie!

If you found my answer helpful, please Rate positively so I may receive credit. Thank you! Laughing

If you need any clarification, please click 'Reply'.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Cher
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Cher, Thank you for all your wonderful advice. I did change his drinking bowls over to glass and I've been keeping the area clean using a Q-tip moistened with Hydrogen Peroxide. He appears to be healing as the scab on the larger one isn't bright red but darker now so I think he's improving (definitely not worse). I'm feeling good about it so far.

Thank you for following up. I really appreciate it!!

Kind Regards,
Bobbi =)
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hi again, Bobbi and you're most welcome.

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and your furry boy!

Thanks very much for your positive update on Charlie! It does sound as if he's coming along nicely and I'm so glad you changed to glass bowls.

I hope things continue to improve!

Please don't hesitate to request me for future questions by starting your post with "For Cher Only" and I will answer asap. Also, please feel free to continue to update me on Charlie's condition. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,
Cher