Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

..just got a 1 1/2 year old chin persian female flown 3000

..just got a 1 1/2 year old chin persian female flown 3000 miles to me Saturday.....she is stressed/finding it hard to adjust and has loose/frequent bowel.....what can I treat her with OTC until I can take her to a vet tomorrow AM?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Tallulah Belle is having some trouble.

I have to be honest and say that there is not anything that is likely going to stop the diarrhea over night so she may still have diarrhea when you get to the vet tomorrow. This could be due to the stress of the move but other problems such as intestinal protozoa like coccidia or giardia are also possible.

Since she is a new kitty for you, your vet may want to send a fecal sample out to a lab. I would request they not the sample at the vets as the lab is very inexpensive and much more accurate.

Some things you can try to help firm the stool are
* Pet Pectillian- This is a safe over the counter product for cats. Link
* Feed a bland diet tonight of boiled chicken and rice, or chicken baby food ( no onions or garlic in the ingredients) with a little white rice.
* Add 1/2 teaspoon Metamucil to either the bland diet or some canned food.
* 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin daily can help to regulate the stools but this normally this takes a few days to work.

To help with stress you can look at the pet store for Feliway plugins or collar, Rescue remedy or calming treats.

The Feliway products release calming pheromones and the Rescue remedy is an all natural supplement that can be added to drinking water or applied orally.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and concerns.
Candy

I apologize I accidentally deleted part of my answer and was editing as you read

To help with stress you can look at the pet store for Feliway plug ins or collar, Rescue remedy or calming treats.

Hi Linn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tallulah Belle. How is everything going?

Candy R.