Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my 14 year old cat had ear polyp removed 5 months ago and since

my 14 year old cat had ear polyp removed 5 months ago and since she had surgery will shake head now and again as if some thing in ear now this evening I noticed a large hard lump starting at ear base increasing in size as it goes along jaw

Hi Dympna,

I am sorry Freckles had to endure surgery......poor baby.

The problem is ear polyps is that they can grow back. Fortunately, they are almost always benign. You can read about this here:

Of course, this new lump along her jaw can be a dental abscess from a bad tooth.

In any event, her veterinarian should take a look at it. It sounds like she is a a bit of pain, hence the head shaking.

Please let me know what is found and how Freckles is doing.

If you have more questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi the lump is more back end of jaw from base of ear getting larger as it goes down towards neck not on tooth line

Dear Dympna,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. The nose, mouth and ears are intimately related.So, growths can develop in each area.

If Freckles had a root abscess of a tooth the lump would be in the area you describe.

It can also be a new polyp deep inside the ear that is swelling the base of the ear and the neck. It could also be a swollen salivary or lymph gland.

All of these things are very treatable, however, it can only be effectively diagnosed by an in-person exam with her vet.

I wish I could tell you for sure but without being able to see Freckles I can only give you all the possibilities.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

I hope Freckles will be fine.

Best wishes for her,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much have appointment with vet in morning but just wanted to hear what you thought I was thinking the worst but now after reading your answer I feel much better fingers crossed Smile

Dear Dympba,

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

I hope I have helped eased your mind about Freckles and she feels better very soon.

Please let me know what the vet says tomorrow. You can rate my answer and reply anytime because there is no charge for follow-up.

My fingers are crossed too!