Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat sits in the window that my bed is pressed up against

My cat sits in the window that my bed is pressed up against and has recently started resting with her head pressed against the window frame. She also has done it with my arm a few times. I've been reading about head pressing but she doesn't seem to have any other unusual symptoms. Should I take her to the vet and make sure its not something serious?

Hello, Erica and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Pumpkin today.

When she sits in the window with her head resting and pressed up against the window frame, is it the side of her head/face, the back of her head, which part of her head is pressed up against the window/window frame?

When she does this with your arm, also, which part of her head/face is resting on your arm?

Thanks for all your additional detail.

Best regards,

Hi again, Erica.

I see that you are now offline, so I will send you my answer and if you have additional questions, simply click 'Reply' and we can continue our conversation.

Head pressing in cats may indicate damage to the nervous system, which could result from various causes, including prosencephalon disease (in which the forebrain and thalamus parts of the brain are damaged), or the ingestion of a toxic substance, leading to toxic poisoning.

Other possible causes may include a metabolic disorder, such as too much or too little sodium in the body's blood plasma called hyper or hyponatremia, respectively, a primary or secondary tumor located in the brain, or an infection of the nervous system, such as rabies or fungal infection. Additional causes may include head trauma (such as being hit by a vehicle), or from exposure to toxins, such as lead.

Symptoms may include compulsive circling and pacing, changes in trained behavior, seizures, damaged reflexes, and eye problems. Some of these symptoms may lead to lesions, for example, sores on the feet as a result of compulsive pacing, or injuries to the face/head as a result of pressing the head against a surface for long periods of time.

Tests may include looking at the back of the eye/retina, checking blood pressure, MRI and/or CT scan of the brain, and others, which you can discuss with your vet, if necessary.

Since you mentioned Pumpkin's behavior is not unusual in any way, hopefully she doesn't have any neurological problems, but it is always advisable to have her evaluated in person by the vet when you notice a behavior change such as this head pressing. She may just enjoy the feeling of the cool window against her head/face (if it is cool now, where you live).

I hope all will be well with Pumpkin!

Please click 'Reply' if you need any clarification, before rating, however, if you found my answer helpful, please Rate positively so I may receive credit. Thank you! Laughing

Warmest regards XXXXX XXXXX and Pumpkin,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. To answer your earlier question its her face that she's resting against the wall and my arm and such. I haven't noticed her doing it as much the last few days so I'm hoping its nothing but i'll probably take her to the vet anyways just to be sure. Your answer was very in depth and helped me decide that taking her is probably for the best.

Hi again Erica and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Pumpkin!

Thanks for answering my earlier questions. It's not uncommon for cats to often rest/sleep like that, and if you've noticed she's doing it less often, that's good. I agree that in any case, a vet visit for an in-person evaluation is always best, XXXXX XXXXX glad you will take her in to be seen, just to be on the safe side. I always recommend erring on the side of caution.

I hope all will be well with your Pumpkin and please let me know, if you're able, what the vet's findings are (if any) and how she's doing. Thank you! Just click 'Reply' to update me.

Since you found my answer helpful, can you please take a moment to give it a positive rating as that is the only way in which I receive credit for my help; Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it. Laughing

Warmest regards,

Hi Erica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pumpkin. How is everything going?