Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

my cat has an infected nasal canal. It has lifted the bone

my cat has an infected nasal canal. It has lifted the bone on her face. She has had an antibiotic injection. she is bright and alert and eating but the size of the abnormality has increased. she was hard to examine. was not socialised early enough probably so shy. no blood work abnormalities. my questions are should I pursue a more active approach to diagnose cause rather than await progress on injection, and are there feline ENT specialists, and is waiting likely to lead to worse complications. the bone raising nature sounds particulary worrying!
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would bet that you are dealing with one of three things- squamous cell carcinoma, nasal adenocarcinoma or melanoma. These are the common masses that occur in the nose and on the head of cats. Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the most likely.

There are not many options, but we have some things that we can do. Radiation therapy is our best option to shrink down the mass and make the cat more comfortable. It's not a cure, but it can buy you some quality time. You must first do a CT (cat scan) to see how invasive the mass is and how large it is.

You can get a consult with a veterinary oncologist to get the imaging and a treatment plan going forward.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you Dr Gary -. I won't sign off right now but won't be able to log on again till a few hours time.

Ok, I'll be on and off tonight. I'll look for any replies later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for the information you provided- it helped me decide what to do next