Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My four year old domestic short haired cat has a cut on his

My four year old domestic short haired cat has a cut on his tail. I noticed it today and it looks infected. There is pus coming out. He is acting as if it is painful, and keeps licking it, which is how I noticed it. He is typically an indoor cat, but has snuck outside recently so I am not sure if he cut it on something or if another animal bit him. Should I take him to the emergency vet tonight or wait until tomorrow?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jasper.
I am absolutely suspicious for some type of bite wound from another animal. Based on description, you want to take immediate action at a vet. Even if it is a trip to the ER.
These infections can bad very quickly, and can begin to result in lethargy and loss of appetite.

Also, if Jasper is not updated on rabies vaccine, that should be given immediately. Oral antibiotics should also be started immediately.

Very sorry Jasper got injured. Well worth the trip to any vet tonight.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?