Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

12 year old cat sleeps in garage beside a battery charger for

12 year old cat sleeps in garage beside a battery charger for a golf cart for past several weeks. This morning, loud meows, refuses to leave bedroom closet, limp and lethargic, and eyes don't move quickly when viewing owner, dog, etc. Is a trip to emergency clinic recommeded?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I typically don't get too worried about some minor signs of lethargy for less than a day or so,

Dr. Drew :

but the loud meows, limpness, and slow visual reactions, lead me to believe this may indeed be something serious.

Dr. Drew :

possible issues could include a blood clot that has lodged in the brain, similar to a stroke in people,

Dr. Drew :

or an injury to the head or spinal cord,

Dr. Drew :

or exposure to some type of toxic material or chemical.

Dr. Drew :

I think that veterinary care is a reasonable step to take today, given the situation you are describing.

Customer:

-positively satisfied. Thanks so much.

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome -- best wishes to you and Jules.

Hi Joy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jules. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Took Jules to emergency pet clinic that day and she died 7 hrs later. Vet thought at first it was antifreeze poisoning causing acute kidney failure but we had no antifreeze leaks in our garage and cat had not been outside.

Final diagnosis was heart failure. Our regular cat vet said that 40% of cats who die suddenly from heart failure show no signs of

heart disease

I am so very sorry to hear about this. It is true that many cats with heart disease will show absolutely no signs until the very end.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.