Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi, we recently got a new kitten from the shelter. He was

Hi, we recently got a new kitten from the shelter. He was diagnosed with coccidia. We have him back in a room by himself away from other pets. He has been treated by a vet. I'm reading that it takes a while for it to get out of their systems. My question is about sanitation. I read that ammonia helps to control it, but just want to make sure it's safe before I use it. I usually use a very light scented tea tree oil based cleaner, because I am very sensitive to strong smelling cleaners. My cats have never had issues with this cleaner. Also we have a self cleaning litter box that uses crystal litter. How often should I sanitize the box and replace the litter?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

The reality is, when managing coccidia, it's rarely something that adult cats will contract from a young kitten.

Dr. Drew :

Coccidia can be a somewhat normal finding in older cats, and if there's no diarrhea present, treatment is not needed.

Dr. Drew :

Of course, it still is a good idea to practice good sanitation,

Dr. Drew :

but it is not something that warrants obsessive sterilization of the entire home.

Dr. Drew :

I would suggest following your usual cleaning routine,

Dr. Drew :

it may take a few weeks for Oreo's stools to be back to normal,

Dr. Drew :

and the medication should be continued for approximately 5-7 days beyond the stools returning to normal.

Dr. Drew :

if you are able to tolerate the smell of diluted bleach, that is acceptable as well -- ammonia isn't required.

Customer:

Ok thank you. There were some places where he had an accident on the furniture. I'm concerned about my kids getting it. I sprayed it down with Lysol. the vet said I need to make sure my kids wash their hands after touching the kitten. We also have in him the room because he had a respiratory virus and to keep the accidents in one area. Poor baby also had fleas when we got him from the shelter. lol...he is still very active.

Dr. Drew :

Coccidia is not transmissible to humans. It is a host-specific disease, it will not cross over into people or other types of animals.

Dr. Drew :

other parasites are transmissible,

Dr. Drew :

so the kids washing their hands is a good idea --

Dr. Drew :

but not specifically because of coccidia.

Customer:

ok good. So the tea tree oil based cleaner should be ok?

Dr. Drew :

If it's a product that has worked well for you in the past, I see no problem with its use in this situation.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to mention the vet gave him Ponazuril for two days. He said to bring him back in a few weeks to have him retested.

That's a newer treatment favored by some veterinarians. It seems to work fine for most cases.