Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.

my five year old male in-door cat has always rubbed his head

Customer Question

my five year old male in-door cat has always rubbed his head on hard objects. it concerned me at first but he never rubbed himself raw so i figured he just likes his head scratched. a vet even had him on Chlor‑Trimeton when we thought maybe it was allergies. lately, his rubbing/scratching has become more regular. i recently scratched his head with the intention of seeing if i could feel anything odd. i was surprised when i felt several ridges running along the top of his head (from front to back). they feel rigid. i looked up cat skull images and they all look smooth with no ridges. could this be why he rubs his head? should i be concerned? should i have his head examined? should i have mine for not noticing this sooner?? i dont know if this is at all related to his head, but yesterday i noticed small amounts of blood on the bathroom sink and on the bed. i could not find any wound or injury on the cat. any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did the Chlortemeton treatment help stop this for Skooter?

Is this the only place that he scratches?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hello dr. loretta, the allergy meds did not seem to stop his scratching so we discontinued it. he does rub/scratch his face some, but mostly it the top of his head that he focuses on.

Thank you Victor..

This scratching at Skooters head is most likely become an Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder or a habit. Cats all will rub their heads against objects to transfer their smell onto this object as a territorial hereditary issue. Even though you are feeling ridges, Victor, as long as there is no hair loss or red irritated areas of the skin under the fur, this will not be harmful to him. The ridges have developed after years of rubbing and is a normal process.

You do not need to get your head examined, Victor nor do you need to get Skooter's head examined unless there appears obvious lesions that would require treatment. From what you have described to me, Victor, this is normal and harmless to Skooter.

This blood you see in the bathroom sink may be due to a Urinary TRact Infection.....when this happens to male cats, they will urinate blood in odd places and they especially like bathroom sinks so you know that he is hurting....for this, Victor, I would take Skooter to your vet...this condition can cause crystals that could block his urethra and this could be very serious.

Does that make sense to you, Victor?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thanks for the input Dr. Loretta. it's much appreciated and a great relief. i've had other cats before and never noticed this behavior.

thanks too for the advice on the blood. i have another problem here, Skooter isn't very social and when we've taken him to the vet he hisses and bares his teeth and generally freaks out. it's taken 2 or 3 people to handle him in past visits to the doctor. should i ask the doctor for sedative pills so skooter can be fully examined? does he need to be completely sedated given his unsocial temperament? thanks again!!

Yes, Victor...ask your vet for a tranquilizer so he is sedate when he arrives, They will want to check his urine , possibly take blood and possibly check his head while he is there...the tranquilizer will reduce Skooter's stress and make this examination much easier on your vet...
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.

Thank you so much, Victor for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Skooter will do well.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks again, Dr. Loretta,

I took Skooter in to see his doctor last evening. his doc reiterated the cautions you expressed online. the visit was a challenge because of Skoot's anti-doc temperment. he's usually quite the scaredy cat, but last night he was a 12 lb ferocious beast! the doctor did what he could under the circumstances, gave him some meds and i'm monitoring him. thanks again! glad i found JUSTANSWER online. victor

That is great news, Victor...I am so glad that you took that ferocious beast to your vet...I know Skooter is just afraid and I don't blame him...it is so hard to tell him that it is for his own good...if only they could talk! :))

Please let me know Victor if the medications are helping...I sure don't want Skooter to have to go through that again.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Hi Victor,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skooter. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta