Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

My cat has been pooping under the bed and not sure why. This

Customer Question

My cat has been pooping under the bed and not sure why. This is a new behavior for him. He's fixed, his box is clean and within easy reach of him. We do have 2 other cats but they've all been together for 3 years. I'm totally stumped as to what his problem is. Suggestions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You are not alone...this is a common problem especially in multi cat households.

From what you have told me, it appears that Lightening is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue with the other cats or some other stress. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Lightning to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.Gte more boxes...as many as 2 per cat.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:

www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could there be a medical issue? He's been fine up to the last few days. The box he uses is cleaned every day (maybe we should clean twice a day but they ususally only use it at night). Lightning is always in my room when our dogs are out (the dogs are 4). He doesn't like to be around them so he stays in my room and the litter box is in the adjacent bathroom to my bedroom. We'll try getting another box(es) and see how he does. Out of the 3 cats, he's always the "special" one.

yes, this could be a medical issue which is why we recommend that your vet examines Lightning...this usually is inappropriate urinations however and not usually defecation...

If he is having a digestive disturbance, this could also cause this so your vet can tell you for sure.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Lightning will resolve this soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lightning. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello! He's doing much better. We bought the feliway and it helped a lot! Things for checking on him.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 12 months ago.
That is so great, Shelly!! I am so glad that Lightening responded so well.

I hope you and Lightening have a great day!!