Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

My beloved cat (12 years old) threw up about 2 days ago and

Customer Question

My beloved cat (12 years old) threw up about 2 days ago and it was partially digested food. Several hours later (in the middle of the night) I could hear him getting sick about once per hour but only found 1 pile of what looked like bile. Since then he is walking a little strange (he does have arthritis and is very overweight) and finding strange spots to go and lay down. He yowls occasionally, but he still likes to be pet and talked too. He is a very aggressive cat so the Vet I have taken him to in the past would not ever take him out of the cage. He has actually hospitalized me before. I am also afraid due to his age and weight that he would not take well to the struggle to get him in the cage and to the vet and back again. I would love some help!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is Buttons still wanting to eat?

Did this come on all of a sudden? Is he still vomiting?

Did this staggering just start?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He does not seem to be eating very much, I have only seen him approach his bowl once and take a few small nibbles. He is no longer vomitting. It came on very all of a sudden. He is not really staggering he is more like taking extra (different) effort walking and climbing stairs

Thank you Taylor for that information....

I believe that Buttons has aggravated an already present arthritis that is causing him a great deal of pain and discomfort. I worry because of Buttons age, that he may also be suffering from Kidney Failure since vomiting is the first sign and this along with the arthritis can be very painful for him.

the best thing, Taylor, is to have your vet run blood work and x ray his back and hips to determine what is causing his distress...this may be 2 separate issues that will require separate treatments but, Taylor, until the tests are done, your vet will not know how best to treat Buttons to ease his discomfort.

Does that make sense to you, Taylor?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If he is in kidney failure, is there any effective treatment for this type of thing. He does not seem in pain right now, just acting strange and secluding himself. He enjoyed a treat of some greek yogurt today and was excited for it. He is resting comfortably in one of his favorite spots right now (not secluding). He is very much enjoying attention and does not make any noise or crying when I palpate in areas. I don't want to cause him the stress of going to the vet (it is SUPER stressful for him) if it is not 100% necessary. My action plan right now is to see how he is doing in the morning. If no improvement then go to vet. Does that sound reasonable?

That is a very reasonable plan, Taylor...it appears that Buttons is having some issues but if he is comfortable now, leave him at this time.

If he is in Kidney Failure, there are options for him such as diet and medications but that all depends on how bad this situation is, if this is even the case...

You are doing great Taylor...lets see how he looks in the morning...please let me know..I am happy to help....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Buttons seems to be back to his old self. He is eating, drinking, and going potty fine. He even jumped onto the bed to snuggle today and is back into his normal habits (well sleeping locations). This is so very strange. Thank you so much for your help. I am so grateful and relieved that he is back to himself today.

Thank you!!!

That is so great Taylor! I am so glad that Buttons is back to his old self!!

Thank you so much, Taylor for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a great day, Taylor...Buttons too!