Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

I just gave my 18 pound cat a Capstar tablet for fleas. I

I just gave my 18 pound cat a Capstar tablet for fleas. I have given it to him before with no adverse side effects. This time, he became hyperactive with panting, loud purring, rapid breathing, vocalization, and lots of scratching. All symptoms have quieted a bit except the panting and rapid breathing.

Is this a reaction to the fleas dying and driving him mad or the medication?

Can I give him Benedryl to calm his itching and hyperactivity or will it get worse?
I am sorry to hear about Tuxie. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I did some searching, and there are reports of panting and hyperactivity. It does seem to be related to having a lot of fleas dying all at once.

It should pass, as the fleas die, and removing the dying fleas should help. Bathing him to remove the fleas is something you could try, if he is not too excited to bathe.

It should not harm him to give some Benedryl, but not sure it will help! A safe dose is 4 to 10 milligrams. he is a big cat, so try 10 milligrams.

Poor kitty! Hope he is feeling better soon. Let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Thank you for the great rating; I hope he is better soon. I will check back tomorrow to see how he is.

Thank you for the bonus! Much appreciated!