Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

I adopted 2 cats both are up to date on shots. I also have

I adopted 2 cats both are up to date on shots. I also have other cats that have been in our family over 10 years. Both the new cats are having cold symtoms slight wheezing and sneezing. They are eating and drinking. The other cats are fine so I'm confused why its only the new cats seem sick could it be allergies or a cold? They did not come from the same shelter.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information? How long have the new cats been in your household? Do they have any colored discharge from their nose when they sneeze or watery eyes? How are they eating and acting otherwise? Are you keeping them confined from your other cats?

Customer:

One week and I just introduced them to my other cats yesterday and the symptoms started

Customer:

Today. No discharge or runny eyes

Customer:

They are eating well and active but slightly stressed being new here

Dr. Scarlett :

My first suspicion is that both cats have a herpes virus infection. This is a common virus that many cats have and it is NOT contagious to humans. Like the herpes virus in people, however, it "comes out" during times of stress. Instead of cold sores, cats get upper respiratory symptoms--sneezing is very common, as are watery eyes.

Dr. Scarlett :

Because it is a viral infection, antibiotics aren't of any use. If they develop a secondary bacterial infection--yellow or green nasal discharge, lethargy, poor appetite, then antibiotic might be of use.

Dr. Scarlett :

For now I would give them some Lysine. You can get 500 mg tablets at any drug store. Each cat should get 1/2 tab crushed in canned food every 12 hours until the symptoms go away. Your vet may have a more palatable lysine product, too.

Customer:

Should I give it to all the cats or only the new ones

Dr. Scarlett :

It won't hurt to give it to the normal cats, but you can wait to see if they develop symptoms first. Many times a resident cat will start sneezing, etc when a new cat is brought into the house. It isn't that the new cat spread the virus, but rather the old cat had the virus already and the stress just allowed it to replicate.

Customer:

Ok thank you that makes sense. I feel much better now. When should the vet see them if the symptoms continue after the lysine

Dr. Scarlett :

If they develop any colored discharge, become lethargic, don't eat or drink very well, I would take them in. If they don't like the OTC lysine, you may need to take them in to get the kind your vet sells.

Customer:

Thank you so much

Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.