Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Hi Dr Fiona. My cat has been vomiting for almost a week now

Customer Question

Hi Dr Fiona. My cat has been vomiting for almost a week now after eating Wellness Kitten food. He is 3yrs old. This happened before and his doctor gave him Metronidazole. I still have some left. Should I give it to him again? It seemed to help last time. Why would kitten food trigger such a horrible reaction? This time it is a little different. He has been retching a lot and then it progressed to throwing up 2-3 times a day. :( Help! Any advice? Should I withhold food for a little while?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

Unfortunately Dr Fiona is not about at present but my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I will be very pleased to work with you today if that is OK with you and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Tiffany and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Taji's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Well you might want to try the Metronidazole if it worked last time and I will give you a link below for the dose rates and contraindications and further information on this drug but before you do this you may want to try a more simple common sense approach. The thinking here is to give Taji's intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days. You may want to try an option other than the wellness Kitten food in case this was responsible.

4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a couple of teaspoons twice a day.

5. You can reference this website for further information on Metronidazole. : LINK

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start work or if Taji deteriorates further in any way you should have him checked your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you very much for the info. What is you opinion on Metranidazole? I have read some scary things online about it being potentially fatal in some cats..

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Well I have to say that personally it would not be my first choice of antibiotic in this sort of situation ...

It could be that a common sense home remedy could help and beyond that another visit to your vet if things do not quickly pick up ...

Good luck,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Why would you not choose Metronidazole? What would you suggest as an antibiotic in this case so I can compare to what my vet says?

Hello again,

This is just personal preference really, I would go for something such as Amoxycillin or Clavamox, these tend to be more easily tolerated in the cat than Metronidazole and are more broad acting.

I find that Metronidazole is more prone to side effects such as causing vomiting for example in some cases but in the right situation it can be a very useful antibiotic.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I see. Thank you for the information!!

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Tiffany,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on Taji's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }