Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

one of my cats eyes looks mottled and darker than the other

one of my cats eyes looks mottled and darker than the other one and has a brownish reddish ring on the outside of the eye itself.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Are you able to post a picture of your cat's eye?

Dr. Scarlett :

The iris in older cats can develop dark spots that are benign. If they look pretty flat (ie. don't seem to project off the colored part of the eye) and are somewhat symmetrical, they probably aren't a big cause for concern. If, however, they seem to be getting larger, the eye looks cloudy or hazy, or there is any form to the spots, then you should have Smudge examined by a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Dr. Scarlett :

Not sure about the brownish ring on the outside of the eye--a picture might be helpful!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Scarlett,

Thanks for your information, I will take him to the vet as then I can be sure he is ok. I have never seen that sort of 'mottling' on just one eye before, as I have had many cats (and still do) over the years.

Thanks again for your time and input. I'll let you know what the vet said if you would like?

Bye for now

Marti & Smudge and the rest of the crew. x

I have seen it on one eye, so hopefully not a big deal. But yes, please let me know what you find out!
Hi Marti,
Did you get Smudge's eye looked at yet? What did the vet say?