Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a cat apprx 15 yours old and healthy except when he

I have a cat apprx 15 yours old and healthy except when he has sneezing fits. At the vet, 3-4 months ago, he gave him shot for allergies, and I have given him I Lysine HCI every day. The sneezing stop then started again,by sneezing I mean 10-25 times with snot out of his nose! Is there anything else that is natural to help him. He is not fat, he's indoor, eats and drinks well---and meows until I open the door so he can sleep with he also clever still.

Hi Janice,

I am so sorry poor Spence has this trouble.

Can you please tell me more so I get to know him better?

How long has he had these sneezing episodes?

what foods does he eat? Please list brands and flavors.

what type of litter do you use?

do you have carpet or rugs in your home?

what cleaning products do you use?

Is Spencer a calm kitty or high strung?

After your reply, please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

High Stung..that's a good one, it makes be laugh YES!! Tidy Cat litter, always, never changed brands, the sneezing started 6-8 months ago. Yes, we have carpet, but we alway have. Iams Pro-Health Weight Control always-chicken. Vacuuming, I keep the cats way from leaning supplies because also lost my Kenny that way.

Dear Janice,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

I was wondering if Spencer was the kitty you saved in 2008? I remember talking to you about a cat with breathing issues.

I am also sorry for your loss of Kenny!

It sounds like Spencer is allergic to something we just have to figure out what..

First, if he is eating dry food, lets try discontinuing it for a trial period. Many older cats develop sensitive to dry foods.

Please read:

Try a hepa filter because carpeting catches hair (from cats) and dust which is hard to get out because it gets caught in the padding. When you vacuum, throw out the bag.

Get a feliway plug-in. It goes into an outlet like glade and will calm Spencer down in case stress is the culprit.

If he continues to have allergies on canned food, lets change the protein source and see how that works out.

try these

Try paper litter like yesterdays news.

He may have something caught in his nose or a polyp so look into that possibillity.

Cats can take benedryl @ one mg per lb every 12 hours for allergies.

Please let me know how things go.

If you still have questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Spencer is VERY lucky to have YOU!.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Spencer is not the same cat, he is healthy as a horse. Thank you acknowledging Kendall, I still miss the little bugger. Regarding his personality...nothing calms him down. When we travel from SC to IL the vet was hoping we weren't driving, Spencer meowed and talked even drugged! It takes a lot for me to get angry...but he getting on my nerves. Just a note, I used to give them all canned food when I had to give Jackson his heart meds. Nothing changed then...I'll look up the sites.

Hi Janice,

It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful lady!

I am so sorry about Kendall. I will never forget him or what you did for him.

As far as car travel, Spencer may get nauseated. So give him a quarter of a tsp of ginger on his food, an hour before you leave.

Spray the carrier with feliway and rub some catnip on one of your old shirts. Put it in the carrier for him to lie on. Your scent will sooth him.

put a feliway collar on him. it will keep him calm:

Cover the carrier. It will calm him down.

Let me know how that works out.

Please don't forget to rate my answer if it is helpful.