Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My five year old male cat has a urinary blockage, took him

My five year old male cat has a urinary blockage, took him to Vet hospital and they put a catheter in him and put him on IV for five days and then they found he has urabdomen (urine in the abdomen). I know this is painful for him and wonder if it is best to just put him down. I don't want to have him live a poor quality life.

Dr. J. :

Hi, I will try to assist you with this. Whether euthanasia is appropriate or not depends upon many factors. I will help you break those factors down so you can make the best possible decision for your kitty. First, how bad does his bloodwork look? What age is he? Is there a college of veterinary medicine close to you? Does your vet practice have competent surgeons?

Customer:

He is five years old, his initial blood work was extremely bad, way high in levels that should not be high. After he was catheterized his levels were normal again. He is in the animal hospital and they are competent I believe. I have never used them before.

Dr. J. :

With uroabdomen one of two things has to happen. Unfortunately we don't know how long he has had it. But anyway, what would have to be done is he would have to got to surgery immediately to fix the bladder, in other words suture the bladder because that is the most likely cause of uroabdomen.They would have to lavage or wash out his abdomen with sterile saline to prevent peritonitis which is infection inside the abdomen. Urine is actually usually sterile so it is not a direct bacterial infection that starts this but a chemical insult to the wall of the abdomen. The only other solution unfortunately is euthanasia. He cannot live with uroabdomen. So, to summarize, he either needs immediate surgery or humane euthanasia. His chances are hard to estimate but with his young age is in his favor. This is a very very hard decision. I am standing by to answer any other questions you have......

Customer:

Ok if we had the surgery what common complications could arise and will he be a cat that will always be prone to kidney issues in the future?

Dr. J. :

Good question. Complications from surgery are infection primarily. In other words if they cannot correct the chemical insult inside him which there is no way to know without trying.They also may be able to tell once they get inside his abdomen. As far as continued kidney problems that is difficult to say but if his levels came down really well that is a good sign.That means he probably has residual function left.If he gets through surgery, then the most important thing is diet. And I will tell you hands down that Purina UR has been the best diet I have everr used to prevent reblockage of cats.It works 99% of the time.I would not use any other food. Also if you are going to elect surgery, it needs to happen asap.Can I answer any other questions?

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help.

I wanted to check in with you guys. I was very concerned about your kitty.How did he make out?
Sincerely, DrJ