Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat has recently developed bags of skin under her fur and

My cat has recently developed bags of skin under her fur and sounds congested most of the time. She is 10 years old.

Hello Kathleen,

I am so sorry Sittara has this trouble.

Please describe the "bags" under her fur.

How big, how many?

Has she had any recent surgery or procedures done to her?

is she eating?
any sneezing or colored mucus?

indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi --

The bags are like large skin tags. I can get the tips of 2 or 3 of my fingers under them. They are on both sides of her rear. On her neck is a spot I think is just starting. It is small and seems that something is pushing her skin out.

She eats well, a little sneezing, no mucus.Totally an indoor cat. Has not been to a vet in years. Also, she is using the litter box much more than usual.

Thank you

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

The "bags" you describe sound like mats. What happens is the hair bunches up and pushes the skin out. These are very painful to a cat.

see them here and how to remove video:

Skin tags are little (usually benign) growths.

Read about them here:

I am more concerned about her congestion. She cold have an allergy, upper respiratory infection, cardiac issues, diabetes etc.

Since she is ten and has not been seen in a while, it would be a good idea to do some senior blood work and let the vet see the mats/tags.

here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:

There is a condition where air gets under the skin (usually from a wound or tear) That is why I asked you if she had any procedures.

I hope you will be able to take Sittarra to one of the vets to evaluate her.She does need to be seen ASAP.

Please let me know how she is doing. If you have more questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Warmest best wishes,

Hi kathleen,

I am following up the see how Sittarra is doing.
Please let me know what the bags turned out to be and how she is feeling.

Very fondly,